> On 22 Jan 2021, at 18:04, Al Iverson via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 11:54 AM Gregory Heytings via mailop
> <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
>
>> That's correct, but in that case what Sendgrid should do is to use a
>> specific subdomain for abuse reports, e.g. use ab...@abuse.sendgrid.com
>> instead of ab...@sendgrid.com, and run their own mailserver on
>> abuse.sendgrid.com.  If two other mail providers filter reports before
>> they reach Sendgrid it defeats the purpose of an abuse contact.
>
> I agree -- this is a good idea and should be considered a best
> practice. As an idea, it is not well known to all, though. And some
> people would complain about it, they ought to accept complaints at the
> top level domain, they would say. But I do agree that we should
> considering trying to push this forward as a best practice going
> forward.
>
> Where I work (Salesforce Marketing Cloud, ex-ExactTarget), we do have
> ab...@abuse.salesforce.com/ab...@c.exacttarget.com set up this way for
> that very reason. We also try hard to register everywhere we can think
> of using the subdomain (abuse.net, for example).
>
> I do think others should do this. What do other folks think?

I think it’s a great idea. We’ve even discussed putting a RFC together listing
this as best practice but have not found the time to do it. Updating /
superseding  2142 or whatever RFC that is would be a Good Thing.

laura

--
Having an Email Crisis?  We can help! 800 823-9674

Laura Atkins
Word to the Wise
la...@wordtothewise.com
(650) 437-0741