> On 22 Jan 2021, at 14:08, Hans-Martin Mosner via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
> wrote:
>
> Well I'm not complaining about the spam from them - it's a steady flow,
> nothing new.
>
> But it looks like they have filters on their abuse box now to reduce the
> amount of abuse reports:
>
> The original message was received at Fri, 22 Jan 2021 05:45:50 -0800
> from m0099904.ppops.net [127.0.0.1]
>
>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> <ab...@sendgrid.com>
>    (reason: 552-5.7.0 This message was blocked because its content presents a
> potential)
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> ... while talking to aspmx.l.google.com.:
> <<< 552-5.7.0 This message was blocked because its content presents a
> potential
> <<< 552-5.7.0 security issue. Please visit
> <<< 552-5.7.0  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BlockedMessage to review our
> <<< 552 5.7.0 message content and attachment content guidelines.
> s129si9974341ybc.279 - gsmtp
> 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

I honestly don’t think it was a sendgrid block, I think it was legitimately a
google filter going ‘uh, no’

> Well of course the the contents presented a potential security issue, that's
> why I reported it! It was an Amazon account
> phishing attempt, the kind that sendgrid is spewing all the time.

This is a huge problem not enough abuse desks and companies have thought about.
If you run abuse@ off your primary MX and you host somewhere where you don’t
have complete control of the filters then legitimate complaint mail is going to
be blocked.

> They could have implemented some simple filter on "Amazon" in the From:
> headers of mails that they send on behalf of
> non-Amazon customers and catch that crap before it lands in recipient's
> mailboxes, but apparently that's above their
> technology competence level.

This isn’t a competency issue. This is their hosting platform refusing to
deliver unsafe mail. The clue is actually the link is to a google website, not
to a sendgrid one.

laura
--
Having an Email Crisis?  We can help! 800 823-9674

Laura Atkins
Word to the Wise
la...@wordtothewise.com
(650) 437-0741