> On 22 Jul 2022, at 16:02, Luis E. Muñoz via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
>
> On 22 Jul 2022, at 6:31, Laura Atkins via mailop wrote:
>
>> I’m agreeing there is a problem with ESPs and have said so to ESPs
>> individually and as a group over the last few weeks.
>
> Something that I don't see mentioned often enough and that would help, is to
> retain records of bounces—even of hashed email addresses vs the bounce.

That’s normal practice as far as I’m aware. If an address bounces the ESP
prevents the sender from mailing to it in the future. There are some ESPs that
don’t (and they know how I feel about their practices). I’ve also heard
complaints from ISP representatives about ESPs that do this and make it
impossible to troubleshoot why their customer isn’t getting the mail they asked
for.

> This would allow the ESP to quickly "fail" the API request to send to that
> email address. There are other metrics that could be tied into those
> addresses and used to provide a more expedite response to the caller, which
> incidentally would also help deter abuse.

In many, many cases the issue is that other customers are mailing to the same
address - and just because an address bounces for X sender doesn’t mean that it
shouldn’t be mailed for Y sender. One clear example is when senders push
individual user blocks out to the SMTP transaction.

This is another “simple” solution that demonstrates a significant lack of
understanding of how bulk email is sent.

laura

--
The Delivery Experts

Laura Atkins