Lem said:

> I question your assertion that "bounces for X sender doesn’t mean that it
> shouldn’t be mailed for Y sender".

Indeed if, say, an address doesn't exist, it doesn't exist whether the
sender is X or Y.

Also, if the mail platform rejects mail from the sender's IPs or domains,
it will probably do that for X and Y alike.

According to people who know better than I do, and any M3 member (which
would mean at least Laura and Lem) has had the chance to hear them out
in person, maintaining a suppression list that is above the level of a
single customer makes the ESP a _data controller_ in terms of the GDPR.

When they're doing stuff for their customers only, individually (as in,
data from customer X does not affect the proceedings for customer Y),
they are a _data processor_ and that's where they want to be.

Becoming a data controller entails needing a legitimate basis for
processing the personal data of the customer's customers, with whom
the ESP does not have any kind of a direct business relationship so
it's really very hard to justify. You can probably pull the notes on
"so, you want to be a data controller" from the past conference
proceedings from the members area.

--
Atro Tossavainen, Chairman of the Board
Infinite Mho Oy, Helsinki, Finland