On 2024-03-06 at 18:51:10 UTC-0500 (Wed, 6 Mar 2024 23:51:10 +0000 (GMT))
Andrew C Aitchison via mailop <and...@aitchison.me.uk>
is rumored to have said:

On Wed, 6 Mar 2024, John Levine via mailop wrote:

Right. I am aware of communities of EAI mail users in India and Thailand, but not anywhere else. You might expect EAI users in China, but nope,
for reasons I can explain if anyone cares.

Everywhere else people use ASCII mail addresses, even though they are
often writing mail in non-ASCII character sets.

I get plenty of non-ASCII characters in the quote part of mail
addresses from European members of lists, including this one.

Right, but they do not use the SMTPUTF8/EAI mechanism (raw UTF8 characters) but instead use the long-established MIME mechanism for encoding non-ASCII header fields using Base64 or Quoted-Printable.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire