Tobias,

This does sound like a typical 'mail bomb', and there are even services you can rent to mail bomb an enemy..

Used to only see it in the gamer community, kid stuff.. but it is more rare than you think.. sometimes it can go on for several days..

Usually, someone has p**'ed off someone..

Lot's of single sign on mailing lists, and poorly written contact forms are abused in a script kiddie style run..

Have to look at examples to be sure.. (feel free to share off list)..

Like I said, a lot more rare than you think, but a pain when it happens.

On 2024-03-12 11:19, Tobias Fiebig via mailop wrote:
Moin,

over the past 2-3 weeks, I saw a slightly more filled queue for email-
security-scans.org; A lot of users seemed to start tests, but never
received the corresponding test mails; In most cases, the ESP hat
shutdown delivery to these inboxes due to a sudden high volume of
inbound messages, with most addresses hosted being under @gmail.com
(and some outlook.com/yahoo.com as well).

A bit of digging found several end-user reports of the following MO:

- Get phished
- Something expensive is bought
- Mailbox is overflown right when the notification of the transaction
comes, likely in a bid to hide the illicit purchase

Naturally, there now have been some 'adjustments' to the service to
make sure it no longer contributes to that... and maybe finds some
insight into what is happening there... *loglog*

However, I'd be interested in hearing whether I had just missed some
very common spam reason here; So:

- Did somebody else stumble over this in the past and/or did i simply
miss this being a thing?
- How is this handled for, e.g., all the other tools that allow
generating "a lot" of mail only needing a request (signups in general,
ticket systems, [...])? I never saw something like this (on my own or
others systems), even when dealing with services equally easy to
motivate into mailsending.

With best regards,
Tobias

"Catch the Magic of Linux..."
"LinuxMagic" a Reg. TradeMark of Wizard Tower TechnoServices Ltd.