In message <6104b9876b594050d36ca90ca6a169cda7a8e684.ca...@fiebig.nl>,
Tobias Fiebig via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> writes

>A bit of digging found several end-user reports of the following MO:
>
>- Get phished
>- Something expensive is bought
>- Mailbox is overflown right when the notification of the transaction
>comes, likely in a bid to hide the illicit purchase
>
>Naturally, there now have been some 'adjustments' to the service to
>make sure it no longer contributes to that... and maybe finds some
>insight into what is happening there... *loglog*
>
>However, I'd be interested in hearing whether I had just missed some
>very common spam reason here; So:
>
>- Did somebody else stumble over this in the past and/or did i simply
>miss this being a thing?

you have not been paying attention ... it's called list-bombing (Google
will find you many references)

it dates from 2017 or so ... here's an early high-viz example

<https://www.propublica.org/article/hackers-shut-down-propublicas-email-
for-a-day-heres-how-to-stop-attacks-like-that>

>- How is this handled for, e.g., all the other tools that allow
>generating "a lot" of mail only needing a request

If you have forms ... add CAPTCHAs or randomize the form field entry
names (every time they are displayed)

--
richard                                                   Richard Clayton

Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin 11 Nov 1755