It appears that Richard Clayton via mailop <rich...@highwayman.com> said:
>you have not been paying attention ... it's called list-bombing (Google
>will find you many references)
>
>it dates from 2017 or so ... here's an early high-viz example
>
><https://www.propublica.org/article/hackers-shut-down-propublicas-email-
>for-a-day-heres-how-to-stop-attacks-like-that>

It goes back much further than that. Someone who was annoyed at my
abuse.net activity subscribed me to every family mailing list at a
genealogy site in the early 2000s. I was able to contact the admins
and get removed but for at least a year I was telling people that no,
I am not your long lost relative. Yes, I am sure I am not your long
lost relative.

R's,
John