> Given that TLS encryption in SMTP is hop-by-hop rather than end-to-end,
> I am not convinced that this is a significant reduction in security.

Wouldn't it be because you assume that at some point, the security will be
either non-existent or low (TLS 1.0/1.1 or fallback to unsecured
transaction), which is the entire point of forcing to upgrade the security?

Or, if I take the idea the other way around, assuming that "TLS encryption
in SMTP is hop-by-hop" and implying that some hop won't be as secure, isn't
then having TLS encryption a false sense of security ?

(If my message appears aggressive or disrespectful, I'm sorry, that isn't
my intention).