At 07:17 PM 8/11/2004 +0100, Leofranc Holford-Strevens wrote:
>There was another possibility: blank verse, with its capacity for
>constructing paragraphs in the Vergilian manner, as demonstrated by
>Milton, again citing Italian precedent. But Dryden rejected this: how
>far was this due to the new French aesthetic (which not only privileged
>the couplet, but required clear demarcation of line-ends) and how far
>(without admission) to Milton's outdated and undesirable views on
>religion and politics?

I think you have already cited all the reasons that I can think of. The
preference for clear line-endings is one that lasted for a very long time:
in spite of his work with Shakespeare, Samuel Johnson was still
complaining, in his life of Milton, that it's very hard to _hear_ the
line-breaks in Paradise Lost.