>Possibly the idea of the second half of the Aenied being described as
>Vergil's 'greater labour' is to do with the struggle of Aeneas in
>fighting the violence and anger (furor)of others with his
>strengthened pietas. Before his visit to the underworld in Book 6,
>Aeneas was unable to look forward clearly, he was too concerned with
>founding a 'New Troy'. He is given insight into a prosperous Roman
>future and emerges more confident and mature. In books 1-6 Aeneas has
>to battle with his pietas, which he is famed for and the furor which
>is brewing within himself. Despair and confusion often trigger
>outbursts of furor, but after the revelations in Hades Aeneas becomes
>more rational.
>The task for Aeneas in books 7-12 is to use his strengthened pietas
>against the furor of others on the battlefield. This is the ultimate
>test, if he can emerge as the victor then it is a truly a heroic
>achievement.
>
>What do others think of this point I have raised? Are Aeneas' actions
>at the end of the epic fit to be called pious? Is his killing of
>Turnus justified, and if so what does this say about pietas?
>I would appreciate any responses, as I find this topic of great
>interst.
>   Sarah.

Interesting ideas, but I offer more questions: What is the textual evidence
for Aeneas being "more confident and mature" after returning from the
underworld?  Why does Anchises point out to Aeneas in the underworld the
son he will have "in old age"?  Why does Aeneas exit the underworld through
the gate of false dreams?  How does the start of Book 8, where Aeneas can't
sleep because he is as fitful as Medea was after meeting Jason, fit into
the idea of Aeneas being more confident?  In what way is he "more rational"
in 7-12 (esp. 10) than in 1-6?  Where is 1-6 do we see that "Despair and
confusion often trigger outbursts of furor"?  Maybe only in 2?  Is "furor"
more characteristic of Aeneas in 1-6 or 7-12 (esp. 10, 12)?  Does Aeneas
understand what's going on with Juno in 7-12 any more than he did in 1-6?
In 7-12, does Aeneas merely have to fight against the furor of others, or
must he also fight to contain his own furor?  Does Aeneas fight against
others using his pietas against their furor, or does he mainly use swords
and spears?   What happens when a man devoted to pietas is faced with
conflicting loyalties, claims, and duties?  Why is Aeneas described as
"furiis incensus et ira terribilis" and as "fervidus" when he kills Turnus?

Jim O'Hara                               James J. O'Hara
Professor of Classical Studies & Chair   Classical Studies Dept.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      Wesleyan University
860/685-2066 (fax: 2089)                 Middletown CT 06459-0146
Home Page: http://www.wesleyan.edu/classics/faculty/jim.html