Thank-you for your replies, I found them very thought provoking and
interesting. I hope to continue this discussion in the near future,
but for now I must get back to my dissertation which has to be
completed by Monday!
(Wish me luck!)Sarah.

>From: "Jim O'Hara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: VIRGIL: Re: Aeneas' 'greatest labour' ?
>Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:19:54 -0400 (EDT)
>
>>Possibly the idea of the second half of the Aenied being described
as
>>Vergil's 'greater labour' is to do with the struggle of Aeneas in
>>fighting the violence and anger (furor)of others with his
>>strengthened pietas. Before his visit to the underworld in Book 6,
>>Aeneas was unable to look forward clearly, he was too concerned with
>>founding a 'New Troy'. He is given insight into a prosperous Roman
>>future and emerges more confident and mature. In books 1-6 Aeneas
has
>>to battle with his pietas, which he is famed for and the furor which
>>is brewing within himself. Despair and confusion often trigger
>>outbursts of furor, but after the revelations in Hades Aeneas
becomes
>>more rational.
>>The task for Aeneas in books 7-12 is to use his strengthened pietas
>>against the furor of others on the battlefield. This is the ultimate
>>test, if he can emerge as the victor then it is a truly a heroic
>>achievement.
>>
>>What do others think of this point I have raised? Are Aeneas'
actions
>>at the end of the epic fit to be called pious? Is his killing of
>>Turnus justified, and if so what does this say about pietas?
>>I would appreciate any responses, as I find this topic of great
>>interst.
>>   Sarah.
>
>Interesting ideas, but I offer more questions: What is the textual
evidence
>for Aeneas being "more confident and mature" after returning from the
>underworld?  Why does Anchises point out to Aeneas in the underworld
the
>son he will have "in old age"?  Why does Aeneas exit the underworld
through
>the gate of false dreams?  How does the start of Book 8, where
Aeneas can't
>sleep because he is as fitful as Medea was after meeting Jason, fit
into
>the idea of Aeneas being more confident?  In what way is he "more
rational"
>in 7-12 (esp. 10) than in 1-6?  Where is 1-6 do we see that "Despair
and
>confusion often trigger outbursts of furor"?  Maybe only in 2?  Is
"furor"
>more characteristic of Aeneas in 1-6 or 7-12 (esp. 10, 12)?  Does
Aeneas
>understand what's going on with Juno in 7-12 any more than he did in
1-6?
>In 7-12, does Aeneas merely have to fight against the furor of
others, or
>must he also fight to contain his own furor?  Does Aeneas fight
against
>others using his pietas against their furor, or does he mainly use
swords
>and spears?   What happens when a man devoted to pietas is faced with
>conflicting loyalties, claims, and duties?  Why is Aeneas described
as
>"furiis incensus et ira terribilis" and as "fervidus" when he kills
Turnus?

http://virgil.org/mantovano/mantovano.htm#unsub