From:   Sarah Dever [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Tuesday, April 13, 1999 5:19 AM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        VIRGIL: Re: Aeneas' 'greatest labour' ?

Possibly the idea of the second half of the Aenied being described as
Vergil's 'greater labour' is to do with the struggle of Aeneas in
fighting the violence and anger (furor)of others with his
strengthened pietas. Before his visit to the underworld in Book 6,
Aeneas was unable to look forward clearly, he was too concerned with
founding a 'New Troy'. He is given insight into a prosperous Roman
future and emerges more confident and mature. In books 1-6 Aeneas has
to battle with his pietas, which he is famed for and the furor which
is brewing within himself. Despair and confusion often trigger
outbursts of furor, but after the revelations in Hades Aeneas becomes
more rational.
The task for Aeneas in books 7-12 is to use his strengthened pietas
against the furor of others on the battlefield. This is the ultimate
test, if he can emerge as the victor then it is a truly a heroic
achievement.

What do others think of this point I have raised? Are Aeneas' actions
at the end of the epic fit to be called pious? Is his killing of
Turnus justified, and if so what does this say about pietas?
I would appreciate any responses, as I find this topic of great
interst.
   Sarah.

>From: "Jessica Latimer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: VIRGIL: virgil
>Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 02:01:23 -0400
>
>I heard an interesting quote where Vergil describes the second half
of the Aeneid as his "greater labor".  I don't suppose by this he
means that it is better than the first half, but then I wonder what
exactly he does mean.  Personally, I enjoyed the first half more, as
I am more of a romantic.  As well, the first half is when the
character of Aeneis really forms.  For the same reason, I enjoyed the
Odyssey more than I did the Aeneid; however, Virgil is said to have
believed that the Aeneid was greater than the Odyssey.  Perhaps, it
is the theme that is greater, as the theme of heroic warfare is more
noble than that of homecoming.  Could this be said to be the same
with differing themes of the Aeneid?  I would be very curious to hear
what someone else has to say about this "greater labor" business.