The contrast between Aeneas' killing of Turnus with his killing of Magnus,
Tarquinus and Lucagus is, I think, a very good point. But I don't know
whether it's right to say that Aeneas displays pietas in just thinking
about sparing Turnus. I would put it as Aeneas being on the point of
displaying "pietas" (whatever that means) or "clementia" or, better,
sparing those laid low ("parcere subiectis" Bk 6), but, for whatever
reason, not doing this. And I think that the reason for not doing this is
more likely to be irrational (i.e. approximately "furor").

I think it's very instructive to contrast this episode with, on the one
hand, Neoptolemus and Priam in Bk II (Aeneas emerges better), but, on the
other hand, Achilles and Priam in Bk XXIV of the Iliad. I think the latter
comparison particularly interesting as Aeneas is constantly held out by
Vergil as being a more "civilised" hero than Achilles, yet in the Iliad we
get a v. humane reconciliation. Message: civilization (in sense of "impe
rium") and humanity (in sense of "humaneness") are not coextensive?

Adrian Pay

70 Dalling Road
Hammersmith
London W6 0JA