>Hi, I´ve just subscribed to the list and I want to introduce myself. My name
>is Julieta and I study Classical literature and philology in the Buenos
>Aires University.
>Rigth now I´m looking for some textual problems in the Aeneid, I´d be very
>grateful if someone colud send me a clue...
>Thanks!
>Julieta.

Well, if you want to start with something big, there's the problem of the
authenticity of the Helen-episode in Book 2, denounced (by George Goold in
a celebrated article in HSCP) and defended (most recently by Rory Egan in
EMC) with equal vigor. On a smaller scale, I believe that discussions of
some problems involving variant readings are to be found in J.E.G. Zetzel's
"Latin Textual Criticism in Antiquity," and that there is a book by
Sebastiano Timpanaro -- the name, unfortunately, escapes me -- that deals
with some of them. But rest assured that the literature is substantial.
Unlike most Latin authors, the problems in Virgil's text lie not so much in
the manuscript tradition as in the ancient secondary tradition, with
alternate readings reported in commentaries and in authors like Gellius but
only occasionally represented in the ancient manuscripts, with the evidence
frequently difficult to evaluate.
Outside the Aeneid, one famous such example is Eclogues 4.62, where Virgil
wrote either "cui non risere parentes" or "qui non risere parentes," as
quoted by Quintilian (or perhaps "qui non risere parenti"). Cases like
this, of course, are complicated by the fact that secondary sources also
have their manuscript traditions, can be affected by knowledge of the texts
quoted in them.

James Lawrence Peter Butrica
Department of Classics
The Memorial University of Newfoundland