Dear Helen,
I have been astonished, that such a whole group of commentators saw that
"virgo" as "iustitia" (and not as Artemis-Lucina or Persephone/Kore coming back
to earth's surface or Aphrodite/Kypris with flowers under her feet).
So I see a path, that I didn't see before: the commentators meant Virgo
Astraia,
daughter of Zeus and Themis, who as last but not least god leaves the lost
earth
in the war of everyone against everyone during aetas ferrea - Ovid,
Metamorphoses 1,149 f:

        victa iacet pietas et virgo caede madentis
        ultima caelestum terras Astraea reliquit

-  by Aratos, Phainomena 96 ff interpreted as Dike (daughter of Themis) - so
the circle is closed.

thank you, it has helped much, for every Christmas time I read Ekl.4 with those
pupils, who are in the 4th year (last year) of their Latin-course in school,
very slowly, verse by verse. Some parallels to Ovids (Hesiodic) "aetates" in
Met. 1,89 ff I had been using in former times; but this direct parallel from
the
leaving to the returning Virgo (Astraea) I hadn't found out, because I was
fixed
to the aetas aurea (Saturnia regna), comparing the vegetability (the
"vegetable"...) of eternal spring here (Vergil, Buc.4,18-15) and there (Ovid).
Now I also like to compare Ecl.4 with Ieshaiahu 11,1-10 (with the vegetarian
lion...):

http://home.t-online.de/home/lapsitexillis/jesse.htm#es wird ein Reis

grusz, hansz

Helen Conrad schrieb:

> Servius: : Iustitia, quae Erigone fuit
> Servius Auctus (Danielis, Donatus, or - as they say in Dublin - whatever you
> are having yourself) filia Themides, (cum) inter homines versaretur, propter
> eorum scelera terras reliquit: quam ideovirginem dicunt, quod sit incorrupta
> iustitia.
> Philargyrius I: idest Iustitia fugiens malos hominum mores inter rusticos
> morata [est] in caelum abiisse fertur.  Ideo Iustitia virgo dicta est, eo
> quod incorrupta est, vel Maria.
> Philargerius  II: idest Iustitia vel Maria.  REDIT idest post Eva
> Scholia Bernensia: Iustitia, inter rusticos morata, fugiens mores hominum
> malos, in caelum abisse fertur et nunc redisse.  VIRGO, iustitia, quae
> REDIRE decreuit propter hominum conversiones, vel Terra, quae nunc
> frugifera, sicut et nunc, vel secundum nos Maria. IAM REDIT ET VIRGO idest
> incorrupta iustitia, quae fugiens malos hominum mores in caelum dicuntur
> abisse.
>
> I've quoted them all - as you would expect - ala Thilo and/or Hagen.  I have
> placed T&H's italics under Servius Auctus.  Checked Verona with both T&H and
> Bashera editions - although I was almost certain the fourth was
> irretrievable - also checked Ihm's ed. of Medicea scholia (again a forlorn
> hope).  Is there any recent work on that one?
> Helen Conrad-O'Briain
>

> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans Zimmermann)
> > Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:30:25 +0100
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: VIRGIL: virgo in Ecl.4
> >
> > what do the commentaries tell about the "virgo" in Buc. 4 -
> >
> > iam redit et virgo, redeunt Saturnia regna
> > ?
> >
> > Hans Zimmermann
> > http://home.t-online.de/home/mosaiken/ekloga4.htm

Hans Zimmermann
        http://home.t-online.de/home/hanumans/hansz.htm
Latein/Griechisch und Ethik/Philosophie auf dem Sächsischen Schulserver
        http://marvin.sn.schule.de/~latein/index.html