Patrick Roper schrieb:

> One of the problems, I imagine, is that the Latin that was still in
> spoken use until the late Middle Ages had changed substantially from
> Classical Latin

(first: thank you,)

the changes of pronunciation of c (from k to ts) might have been in early
Emperors time (Kaiserzeit), that of the diphthongs in the first century ante
Christum natum, as we suppose by the changing from "Claudius" to "Clodius" in
the case of plebeisation (to be a candidate for tribunus plebis) and - in an
earlier period - the changing from oe to u (Poeni to Puni, compare Dutch "oe"
or
Greek contraction-rules).

grusz, hansz

Hans Zimmermann