The Romans did not even write single words;
>they wrote in continuous breath-group units (separated by punctuation
>reflecting the importance of the pause) that Fraenkel and I both happen to
>call
>"cola".

A small correction:  if 'Romans' refers to Roman writers in the Augustan Age
and before, then it is not true that the Romans did not write single words.
Inscriptions, and such Latin papyri as survive from that era (including the
Gallus papyrus), show that the use of interpuncts - raised dots marking word
divisions - was universal.  Other signs were also added, to mark sense
pauses, change of speaker, etc; the inscribed texts of Augustus' Res Gestae,
for example, are literally riddled with slashes and squiggles.  But starting
in around the first half of the 2nd century AD, the Romans, for reasons
which remain obscure, gave up this useful habit of writing interpuncts and
began following the Greek custom, which was and always had been to run words
together, in scripta continua.

There were basically two exceptions to the early Roman norm:  personal
pronouns coming immediately after a verb, and prepositions.  In both of
those cases, the interpuncts are usually missing, giving us such things as
MISITIBI, and IMMATRIMONIO (i.e. misi tibi, and in matrimonio).  I mention
this because the line which was the object of discussion a few posts back,
Ecl. 2.24 (Amphion Dircaeus in Actaeo Aracyntho) should actually be
considered a four-word, not a five-word line.

(for more info, see J. N. Adams, "Interpuncts as evidence for the enclitic
character of personal pronouns in Latin," ZPE 111: 208-210, 1996)

Best,

Philip Thibodeau
The University of Georgia