This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

Daniel and all,
just one short, brief, remark.

Before Gaspard Monge published his fundamental treatise Géometrie Descriptive
in 1799 (an VII of Republican Calendar) the method of orthogonal projections
were used almost all over the world since the first millennium Before our Era.
Monge put together and gave a geometrical structure, founded on principles, to
all the disseminated pieces of orthographic representations.
It means that well before Monge we may found "perfect" orthogonal projections
(see Durer in 1525, also Piero della Francesca in 1475 c. and . . . so on back)
even if they are not so defined or claimed!

The way in which the human mind may reach goals and scientific conquests are
quite different. Philosophically speaking, we may reach the truth in several
ways.

with sympathy
vladimiro

Il giorno 29/set/2011, alle ore 08.40, Daniel Strebe ha scritto:
> This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
> whole list)
> o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +
> Colleagues:
>
> I would appreciate help from those with this publication in their collection:
>       “L’Histoire d’Angleterre”, Paul de Rapin-Thoyras, 1724 and later
>
> with Volume XI, p. 121, containing the map titled,
>       “Carte Generale des Royaumes Etats & Domaines, que les Rois & La
> Couronne de la Grande-Bretagne ont Possédez ou Possédent en Europe en Afrique
> & en Amerique”
>
> I am studying this map, stated by the sell to have been published circa 1736.
>
> The problem is that the map is impossible. I bought the map as a curiosity
> because it is drafted on a conic projection, which were rarely used at the
> time. When I received the map I wanted to ascertain which specific conic it
> is. I am bemused to report that, with a high degree of confidence, the map is
> drafted on a Lambert conformal conic with standard parallel of 75°.
>
> The problem with this assessment is that the projection and the mathematical
> principles that motivate it were supposedly unknown in 1736. The projection,
> the mathematics for it, and the entire mindset that motivates it, were
> published by Johannes Heinrich Lambert in 1772. Lambert’s treatise is
> considered the seminal work in mathematical cartography. The projection
> wasn’t supposed to be possible before that publication.
>
> My questions:
>
> • Does this map exist in editions of “L’Histoire d’Angleterre” prior to 1772?
> • Does the map look substantially like this?
>       http://mapthematics.com/Downloads/CarteGenerale.png
>
> Thanks & regards,
> — daan Strebe

> Maphist mailing list