 From: Barry L. Ruderman <b...@raremaps.com>
To: Discussion group for map history <maphist@geo.uu.nl>
Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2011 1:36 AM
Subject: Re: [MapHist] Alternative Investing 2011 / Holy Land Map Values

This is a MapHist list message.
News: If you don't get messages anymore, go to http://www.maphist.nl for news
about the new MapHist Forum
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

Al,

Yours is perhaps my favorite question--what drives the value of antique maps
over time.

As a map dealer and collector of nearly 20 years, a former bankruptcy lawyer
and trained economist, this is a topic that for me is a never ending source of
fascination.

With respect to Holy Land Maps, here are my observations.

1. Since the end of WWII, the value of antique maps as a whole has steadily
appreciated.  At the beginning of this time line, there are marvelous anecdotes
about a young Kenneth Newman of the Old Print Shop making annual visits to see
RV Tooley and finding the stack of American maps untouched from the prior
year's visit.  By the 1990s, a number of New York dealers were traveling almost
every month to Europe to buy from continental sources and Clive Burden was
traveling the US with his suitcases, supplying hundreds of full and part time
dealers with stock.  As demand grew in the US, prices generally followed, and
the US market probably drove the Holy Land market as much as any economic
factor.

2. Because of the inefficiencies of the markets, over time, the prices of some
regional maps rose dramatically.  In some instances, these increases were in
part artificial and resulted from the inefficiencies of the markets in the US.
A relatively small number of dealers controlled the market and were able to
raise prices disproportionately to the amount of collectable material
available.  This wasn't a collusion or scheme, it was simply a recognition that
demand did not decline significantly as prices were increased.

3. In some cases, these demands were artificially fueled by unique social and
economic factors.  Typically, these factors had to do with a unique ethnic or
cultural pride, which when combined with certain ephemeral factors, conspired
to drive prices up even further than other markets and resulted in busts.

An example of #3 is the demand for maps of Cuba.  The recent history of Cuba
resulted in a strengthened "nationalism" and bond that intensified with the
displacement of educated and wealthy Cubans in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
As the generation of Cuban born ex-pats aged, collecting interests blossomed,
as time and disposable income grew.  Prices rose accordingly.  However, there
came a point where this first generation of collectors ceased collecting.
While their children still felt a cultural identity and bond, the passion and
nationalism naturally declined with time.  The number of Cuban map collectors
has fallen considerably over the past 10-15 years.

For various reasons, a similar phenomenon has occurred with maps of South
Africa, Japan and the Holy Land.   I suspect South Africa's decline coincided
with the end of apartheid.  With Japan, it ended when the Japanese markets
collapsed in the late 1980s and consumption patterns changed.  For the Holy
Land, I suspect it was driven by the passions of the generation of Jews who
experienced and survived the Second World War and the birth of Israel as a
nation and the early tribulations of Israel as a nation.  The "next" generation
did not share the same intense passion and connection and collecting interest
declined accordingly.  With respect to Holy Land maps, there is also one other
factor at work.  There is a tremendous amount of material to collect. Because
of historical interest in ancient and modern Israel and the various biblical
stories portrayed in maps, the amount of material available for such as small
swatch of land is disproportionate to
 virtually every other place on earth (look for example at the number of Holy
Land and Holy Land-centric maps by Ortelius, in comparison to all other regions
mapped in his atlases).

The most fascinating bust is probably the decline in value of maps and views of
Germany from the peak years in the 1980s to the late 1990s.  German dealers
have watched the values for the most common material decline by 80-90% from the
peak times.  The reasons for this decline are harder to understand, but may be
as simple as supply and demand.  Views that sold for 2500 DM in good times are
now slow sellers at 250 Euros.

4.  Another major factor causing a decline in some prices is the changes which
resulted because of the internet.  Before the net, supplies were controlled by
a small group of dealers and it was easy to create a perception of scarcity.
The web demonstrated that many of the European published maps of the 16th-17th
Centuries were available in much greater quantities than believed by most
collectors prior to 1996 (1995-1997 is when the first wave of dealers went
on-line, including myself).  This phenomenon has driven many of the open shop
dealers in major European and American cities out of business, as transparency
and auction houses compressed margins and drove down prices.  As a result, the
value of many European printed maps was relatively flat from the late 1990s to
2007 and have probably declined from 2008 to 2011.

The factors set forth in #4 above are likely to abate with the next economic
recovery.  The number of collectors in the world has grown significantly
because of the web.  While the profile of the typical collector and their
interests may be changing or evolving over time, the web has created a
democratization of collecting which makes it possible for a surgeon in Alaska
or a factory owner in Christ Church to collect just as actively as a banker in
New York or London. One of my most active clients is a journalist who has
resided in Iraq and Afghanistan for most of the past 10 years and never once
set foot in my shop.  Moreover, the learning curve for collectors is much
shorter, as a typically collector can view tens of thousands of maps in more
than a dozen countries on line and access institutional collections and
scholarly material in the same manner.  And they can pick the brains of dozens
of map dealers by email!

The good news is that Holy Land values seem to have been stable and/or
increased in recent years and there are a number of 30- and 40-something Holy
Land collectors who are just reaching their peak earning years and already
amassed excellent comprehensive collections, which bodes well for demand and
values over the next several decades.

Oops...now I'm giving investment advice.

Happy Holidays!

Barry Ruderman
Barry Lawrence Ruderman Antique Maps Inc.
7463 Girard Avenue
La Jolla, CA 92037 (USA)
b...@raremaps.com
www.RareMaps.com
(858) 551-8500

Member: Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers

Gallery Hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm
Weekends & Evenings By Appointment