If that is the direction the group wants to go, I am supportive.  I have
just lived WordPress plugin hell for longer than I care to admit. I agree
that the hosted options have matured and are a solid option.

If WordPress is the direction you take, I would strongly recommend trying
to avoid extensive customization of themes and plugins as that is where you
paint yourself into a corner, in terms of maintainence, with a rotating
group of collaborators.

Cheers,

Will