________________________________
From: C. Olofson <c.olof...@gmail.com>
To: marketing@libreoffice.org
Sent: Fri, 20 May, 2011 18:17:14
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Updated (EN) tri-fold brochure

Nope.  We don't: http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/installation/
> If we do list BSD on the pamphlet, we will need to be read for questions for
>installing it on BSD.
At this point, we're taking our lead from the LibO website.  It mentions only
the three OSes.
> So if there is not references to BSD install, maybe we should say "Windows,
>Linux, MacOSX, and other platforms", with the "other platforms" in the small
>print.
In principle, I like that and that definitely sounds like the way to go.  I
believe that the Debian project is as popular as it is, in no small part, for
the prominence they give to being a cross-platform product.  But, I'd rather
defer that until later.  Reason is, in my opinion, due diligence would require
us to get marketing, doc & support each to address this statement.
> So do we NEED to list all the platforms that LibreOffice can be used on, for
>just the 3 major ones?
I'm pretty sure we already settled on "the 3."
> Is there anything else that is blocking our "publication" of our project?
I'll defer to those who've been proofing more closely.

Craig

Hi :)
Ok, i think the pamphlet has been ready for quite a long time now.  It's
getting
better but it already was good enough.  Do we need it to be perfect first time?

I don't believe there is any such thing as perfection.

I don't think we need instructions for all the different OSes, especially if
the
Dvd is the Windows-only version.  Windows users often need quite a lot of
hand-holding but often linux users are new to linux so they need help too as
they still have bad habits and mis-information left over from their Windows
days.  By contrast Bsd users are likely to already have a lot of unix based
experience and be fairly used to advanced ways of installing, such as compiling
from source.  We don't need to scare or confuse non-Bsd users by explaining
those, especially in a pamphlet for the Windows-only version.  It's enough just
to mention the platform.

Or, going the other way isn't it dangerous to mention non-Windows platforms?
Is
it wise to mention other platforms at all?

Regards from
Devil's Advocate :)