Hi Italo, all,
Le 09/11/2020 à 16:04, Italo Vignoli a écrit :
> [...]
> seen as appropriate for community members is not helping the decision,
> because we need to improve the positioning for all those people who do
> not contribute at all to the project (apart from donations, which are
> not seen as contributions for this decision).
>
> The unfortunate reality is that the majority of enterprises is using
> LibreOffice for free - is their right, but they usually save a rather
> substantial amount of money by replacing MS Office licenses with
> LibreOffice - without giving back anything, while they should support
> the project at least in the same proportion of individuals who donate
> (because they recognize the value of the software).
>
> So, we need to exert some moral suasion on enterprises by making it
> clear - with a label - that the LibreOffice version they are using is
> not targeted to enterprises, as it is not supported professionally, or
> it is not packaged according to the needs of enterprises deploying
> LibreOffice on a large number of PCs.
>
> Proposals in line with the objective:
>
> COMMUNITY: makes the Community happy, but does not communicate to users
> the right message, as Community is the feature-limited version of open
> core projects (best case, competent users or 1% of all users), or the
> organization where you treat addictions (worst case, or 98.9% of all
> users). IMHO not applicable.
>
> PERSONAL: does not make the Community happy because Personal is not
> interpreted in the right way by OSS advocates (Personal as in personal
> computer or personal productivity), on the contrary is rather clear for
> users outside the community ("I can use it for free on my PC"), and is
> providing the right message to enterprises (by the way, a label will not
> stop anyone from using LibreOffice for free on hundreds or thousands of
> PCs, but will give us a reason for a strong message). IMHO the best.
>
> ROLLING: Rolling is a techie term for OSS advocates, based on several
> Linux distros, although not popular amongst users provides a feeling of
> something which is not perfectly stable, and as such could be used - but
> the deployment should be carefully studied - to provide a message for
> enterprises. IMHO sub-optimal but probably acceptable.
>
> CLASSIC: Classic is a typical branding term used by very large brands to
> label the "original" product, when there are variants available. As such
> it could work, although the message for enterprises should be carefully
> crafted and added. IMHO sub-optimal but probably acceptable.
>
> BASIC: this is the closest label to "home" or "unsupported", which were
> suggested by ecosystem members (but have a negative meaning which is not
> appropriate for a quality product such as LibreOffice), it is not the
> most elegant solution but it could be deployed with some extra care, and
> some specific message targeted to enterprises. IMHO the last resport, if
> nothing else works.
>
> Looking forward to other proposals, possibly with a rationale.

My proposal would be: Creative
Rationale is that:
- it has a positive connotation which expresses the creativity of the
community reflected in the product.
- Creative lets you feel that it's in progress, will go further by
iterations just like when you write a book, or design a painting. And
it's how is our release process compared to LTS.
- also, it mirrors CC in the way of making commons accessible to all.

> Of course, please remember the planned meeting on Wednesday, November
> 11, at 2PM UTC.
>
> 2. Where to position the label: title bar, about box, start center
>
> I would like to get some ideas also for the positioning of the label. I
> am not sure that adding it to the Start Center would make a difference,
> because most users do not read what they have on the screen, and so the
> enterprises.
>
> Of course, we have to find a place where to add the label, in addition
> to the About Box (which is the natural place for it).

About box would be enough for me

> In any case, the effectiveness of the label will be related to the
> communication effort around it, which will be based on specific actions
> and messages. We will have to educate enetrprises, which are not trivial
> to educate as a target. On the other hand, if enterprises do not give
> something back to the project, the sustainability is at stake.
>
> Sorry for the long message, happy to read other contributions.

Just some thoughts :)
Cheers
Sophie

--