At 06:11 08/06/99 +0200, Bob wrote:
>Doug asks!
>>
>> Just wondering, Hugh - if the central bankers are so stupid, why are they
>> still in business and the Marxian true-religionists reduced to sniping from
>> the Swedish sidelines?
>
>Fair enough. Well, i guess it is partielly because we have a whole series
of "Marxists" economists who played ball with the Stalinist ideology. WV
takes this up more specifically in their crtique of just your book Doug.
Which pissed you off to know end. But in the final analisis theory and
practice are connected..
<

This argument inverts the relationship between theory and practice. It is a
core line of demarcation between Bob and some others.

Doug has done a lot of work analysing the empirical detail of how Wall
Street works independently of the conscious will of any one individual.
Bob's position is that of a proselytiser seeking to convert people to a
different form of thinking independently of practice. That he blames a
single individual who has actually laid bare at least some of the mystical
bones of the centre of finance capital, for supporting it, because Doug
does not indulge in revolutionary rhetoric in a non-revolutionary period,
demonstrates that Bob's line is the one that divorces theory from practice.

>Soon I will have to resend the WV article to the list so that new
subscribers can take a look at how Communists see Doug's bible "Wall Street"..

Fine, but if you want to be read, and to convince, edit you riposte down to
one or two key points which Doug's reply does not, in your opinion, answer.

Chris Burford

London