Forgive the many typos in my previous post.

I forgot to mention a book that defends a version of Lenin's reflection
theory:

Ruben, David-Hillel. Marxism and Materialism: A Study in Marxist Theory
of Knowledge, new and rev. ed. Brighton, Sussex: Harvester Press;
Atlantic Highlands, N.J.: Humanities Press, 1979.

A problem with this sort of literature, and with much of philosophy, is
that a lot of energy is expended to review prior material and prove one
or two important points, but when it's all done, one has travelled very
little distance.  This is of some interest from a philosophy of science
standpoint and the hassling out of old controversies about Lenin,
materialism, etc.  But when one is done, one has not gotten very far,
and actually, very little of this has anything to do what marxism was
for, which is about understanding society (as part of changing it, of
course).

^^^^^
CB: Well, lets discuss this point.  From Marx and Engels' standpoint,
understanding and changing capitalist society must include understanding
and changing natural sciences.  To build on Engels, who was  sublating
Kant, Marxists must be involved in the process of changing the  knowing
of things-in-themselves into the knowing of things-for-us, we the People
as a Whole, the whole human species.

^^

I reviewed this book a couple of months ago, but the material is not at
hand now.

^^^^^
CB: Will take a look, hopefully

^^^^

However, I did put a couple of interesting excerpts on my web site:

David-Hillel Ruben on Materialism & Praxis
http://www.autodidactproject.org/other/ruben-dh-1.html

I often feel embarrassed about returning to these hackneyed issues time
and time again.  This stuff has been left behind, but since people
haven't learned . . . .

One more remark about the essays from the book SCIENCE AND MORALITY (a
colleague will soon scan the whole book): as much of an imposture as
Soviet Marxism-Leninism was, there were people who labored under it who
produced some good work, which either gets lost in the shuffle or buried
completely.  Some of these folks from the '60s to early '80s had
something to say, even of relevance to the sexy concerns of intellectual
consumers in the west. Ilyenkov, Lektorsky, and a few others were
interested in incorporating subjectivity and praxis into the scientific
world picture.  So much obligatory garbage is contained in the Soviet
literature it takes effort to extract the usable material.  Most of the
marxist-Leninist rhetoric was refuse; what's worse was when Soviet
boot-lickers in the western bourgeois democracies (note publications of
Gruner publishing co.) imitated this style of argumentation. I have
spent a fair amount of time extracting the usable from the offal.