You certainly cannot understand Marx without understanding the Young Hegelian
milieu. The Second International Marxists never understood it and Engels'
pamphlet on Feuerbach did not provide sufficient information and perspective.

As for Lenin's MAEC, these issues have been argued endlessly.  MAEC serves a
limited function; it combats an overall positivist philosophy based on a misuse
of the natural sciences, ubiquitous in Lenin's time, but it doesn't address
more sophisticated issues about the relation of subject and object (in relation
to social formations).  However, that doesn't mean Lenin was wrong about his
arguments for philosophical materialism in the most general sense. Natural
science materialism, like natural science itself, gives us the floor of a world
view, but not the ceiling.

Unfortunately, Lenin, like Engels before him and Marx slightly before him, was
institutionalized in a manner that created a solidified doctrine that Marx
never intended, and that was open-ended even for Engels.  Lenin was an
innovator and opposed ossification but also contributed to it.

There is nothing new in anything that has been said so far in this discussion.
I find CeJ's take on this matter rather eccentric, and it's if he thinks he's
revealing something that none of us encountered before.

One thing that would be useful, given how much this stuff has been rehashed,
would be a more complete picture of the ideas circulating towards the end of
the 19th century and among whom.  The rebellion against psychologism, the
lineage of Frege and Husserl, the positivism and vulgar evooutionism, social
physics and social darwinism, revolutions in mathematics and logic, the
influence of Nietzsche, the distillation of an intellectual entity known as
Marxism, the birth of modern sociology and social theory (Weber, Durkheim,
Simmel, etc.), traditions passed through Dilthey, neo-Kantianism, etc. etc.
There was a lot going on, but there is also a fragmentation of knowledge to
consider, a fragmentation that has yet to be overcome.  Even "Marxism" remains
fragmentation; I doubt there is a single person around with an intimate
familiarity with all the schools of thought that marxism has generated or fused
with.

Now if only I could find a copy of THE POSITIVIST DISPUTE IN GERMAN SOCIOLOGY.