>>> "Charles Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 03/19/2008 1:46 PM >>>

CeJ jannuzi --

RD:

>>You certainly cannot understand Marx without understanding the Young
Hegelian milieu. The Second International Marxists never understood it
and Engels' pamphlet on Feuerbach did not provide sufficient
information and perspective.>>

Agreed, but one 'popular' view that we often are asked to inherit sees
a simple line of development of nascent possibilities finding Hegel's
philosophy, and then falling under the influence of Feuerbach and
Bruno Bauer (the latter being Marx's mentor). Marx's doctoral thesis,
although it appears sophomoric compared to most of the texts we
consider as source material , displays Marx as part idealist
philosopher, but grounded in concerns that seem to predict some of his
future directions (e.g., an eye for details and specifics rather than
generalizations) . But more importantly than that, later Marx goes
'back to Hegel', and even says he does, and many see this as the key
to understanding the genesis of the creation or discovery of
historical materialism and the later form of materialism, which
Engels's called dialectical materialism. This comes to light in the
Theses on Feuerbach, written in 1845 but published by Engels in 1888.

^^^^^^^
CB: Here's Engels  on Marxism's relationship to Hegel;

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1886/ludwig-feuerbach/ch01.htm
Frederick Engels
Ludwig Feuerbach and the End of Classical German Philosophy

Part 1: Hegel

The volume before us (1) carries us back to a period which, although in time no
more than a generation behind us, has become as foreign to the present
generation in Germany as if it were already a hundred years old. Yet it was the
period of Germany’s preparation for the Revolution of 1848; and all that has
happened since then in our country has been merely a continuation of 1848,
merely the execution of the last will and testament of the revolution.

Just as in France in the 18th century, so in Germany in the 19th, a
philosophical revolution ushered in the political collapse. But how different
the two looked! The French were in open combat against all official science,
against the church and often also against the state; their writings were
printed across the frontier, in Holland or England, while they themselves were
often in jeopardy of imprisonment in the Bastille. On the other hand, the
Germans were professors, state-appointed instructors of youth; their writings
were recognized textbooks, and the termination system of the whole development
— the Hegelian system — was even raised, as it were, to the rank of a royal
Prussian philosophy of state! Was it possible that a revolution could hide
behind these professors, behind their obscure, pedantic phrases, their
ponderous, wearisome sentences? Were not precisely these people who were then
regarded as the representatives of the revolution, the liberals, the bitterest
opponents of this brain-confusing philosophy? But what neither the government
nor the liberals saw was seen at least by one man as early as 1833, and this
man was indeed none other than Heinrich Heine.[A]

Let us take an example. No philosophical proposition has earned more gratitude
from narrow-minded governments and wrath from equally narrow-minded liberals
than Hegel’s famous statement: “All that is real is rational; and all that is
rational is real.” That was tangibly a sanctification of things that be, a
philosophical benediction bestowed upon despotism, police government, Star
Chamber proceedings and censorship. That is how Frederick William III and how
his subjects understood it. But according to Hegel certainly not everything
that exists is also real, without further qualification. For Hegel the
attribute of reality belongs only to that which at the same time is necessary:
“In the course of its development reality proves to be necessity.” A particular
governmental measure — Hegel himself cites the example of “a certain tax
regulation” — is therefore for him by no means real without qualification. That
which is necessary, however, proves itself in the last resort to be also
rational; and, applied to the Prussian state of that time, the Hegelian
proposition, therefore, merely means: this state is rational, corresponds to
reason, insofar as it is necessary; and if it nevertheless appears to us to be
evil, but still, in spite of its evil character, continues to exist, then the
evil character of the government is justified and explained by the
corresponding evil character of its subjects. The Prussians of that day had the
government that they deserved.

Now, according to Hegel, reality is, however, in no way an attribute
predictable of any given state of affairs, social or political, in all
circumstances and at all times. On the contrary. The Roman Republic was real,
but so was the Roman Empire, which superseded it. In 1789, the French monarchy
had become so unreal, that is to say, so robbed of all necessity, so
irrational, that it had to be destroyed by the Great Revolution, of which Hegel
always speaks with the greatest enthusiasm. In this case, therefore, the
monarchy was the unreal and the revolution the real. And so, in the course of
development, all that was previously real becomes unreal, loses it necessity,
its right of existence, its rationality. And in the place of moribund reality
comes a new, viable reality — peacefully if the old has enough intelligence to
go to its death without a struggle; forcibly if it resists this necessity. Thus
the Hegelian proposition turns into its opposite through Hegelian dialectics
itself: All that is real in the sphere of human history, becomes irrational in
the process of time, is therefore irrational by its very destination, is
tainted beforehand with irrationality, and everything which is rational in the
minds of men is destined to become real, however much it may contradict
existing apparent reality. In accordance with all the rules of the Hegelian
method of thought, the proposition of the rationality of everything which is
real resolves itself into the other proposition: All that exists deserves to
perish.

But precisely therein lay the true significance and the revolutionary character
of the Hegelian philosophy (to which, as the close of the whole movement since
Kant, we must here confine ourselves), that it once and for all dealt the death
blow to the finality of all product of human thought and action. Truth, the
cognition of which is the business of philosophy, was in the hands of Hegel no
longer an aggregate of finished dogmatic statements, which, once discovered,
had merely to be learned by heart. Truth lay now in the process of cognition
itself, in the long historical development of science, which mounts from lower
to ever higher levels of knowledge without ever reaching, by discovering
so-called absolute truth, a point at which it can proceed no further, where it
would have nothing more to do than to fold its hands and gaze with wonder at
the absolute truth to which it had attained. And what holds good for the realm
of philosophical knowledge holds good also for that of every other kind of
knowledge and also for practical action. Just as knowledge is unable to reach a
complete conclusion in a perfect, ideal condition of humanity, so is history
unable to do so; a perfect society, a perfect “state”, are things which can
only exist in imagination. On the contrary, all successive historical systems
are only transitory stages in the endless course of development of human
society from the lower to the higher. Each stage is necessary, and therefore
justified for the time and conditions to which it owes its origin. But in the
face of new, higher conditions which gradually develop in its own womb, it
loses vitality and justification. It must give way to a higher stage which will
also in its turn decay and perish. Just as the bourgeoisie by large-scale
industry, competition, and the world market dissolves in practice all stable
time-honored institutions, so this dialectical philosophy dissolves all
conceptions of final, absolute truth and of absolute states of humanity
corresponding to it. For it [dialectical philosophy], nothing is final,
absolute, sacred. It reveals the transitory character of everything and in
everything; nothing can endure before it except the uninterrupted process of
becoming and of passing away, of endless ascendancy from the lower to the
higher. And dialectical philosophy itself is nothing more than the mere
reflection of this process in the thinking brain. It has, of course, also a
conservative side; it recognizes that definite stages of knowledge and society
are justified for their time and circumstances; but only so far. The
conservatism of this mode of outlook is relative; its revolutionary character
is absolute — the only absolute dialectical philosophy admits.

It is not necessary, here, to go into the question of whether this mode of
outlook is thoroughly in accord with the present state of natural science,
which predicts a possible end even for the Earth, and for its habitability a
fairly certain one; which therefore recognizes that for the history of mankind,
too, there is not only an ascending but also a descending branch. At any rate,
we still find ourselves a considerable distance from the turning-point at which
the historical course of society becomes one of descent, and we cannot expect
Hegelian philosophy to be concerned with a subject which natural science, in
its time, had not at all placed upon the agenda as yet.

But what must, in fact, be said here is this: that in Hegel the views developed
above are not so sharply delineated. They are a necessary conclusion from his
method, but one which he himself never drew with such explicitness. And this,
indeed, for the simple reason that he was compelled to make a system and, in
accordance with traditional requirements, a system of philosophy must conclude
with some sort of absolute truth. Therefore, however much Hegel, especially in
his Logic, emphasized that this eternal truth is nothing but the logical, or,
the historical, process itself, he nevertheless finds himself compelled to
supply this process with an end, just because he has to bring his system to a
termination at some point or other. In his Logic, he can make this end a
beginning again, since here the point of the conclusion, the absolute idea —
which is only absolute insofar as he has absolutely nothing to say about it —
“alienates”, that is, transforms, itself into nature and comes to itself again
later in the mind, that is, in thought and in history. But at the end of the
whole philosophy, a similar return to the beginning is possible only in one
way. Namely, by conceiving of the end of history as follows: mankind arrives at
the cognition of the self-same absolute idea, and declares that this cognition
of the absolute idea is reached in Hegelian philosophy. In this way, however,
the whole dogmatic content of the Hegelian system is declared to be absolute
truth, in contradiction to his dialectical method, which dissolves all
dogmatism. Thus the revolutionary side is smothered beneath the overgrowth of
the conservative side. And what applies to philosophical cognition applies also
to historical practice. Mankind, which, in the person of Hegel, has reached the
point of working out the absolute idea, must also in practice have gotten so
far that it can carry out this absolute idea in reality. Hence the practical
political demands of the absolute idea on contemporaries may not be stretched
too far. And so we find at the conclusion of the Philosophy of Right that the
absolute idea is to be realized in that monarchy based on social estates which
Frederick William III so persistently but vainly promised to his subjects, that
is, in a limited, moderate, indirect rule of the possessing classes suited to
the petty-bourgeois German conditions of that time; and, moreover, the
necessity of the nobility is demonstrated to us in a speculative fashion.

The inner necessities of the system are, therefore, of themselves sufficient to
explain why a thoroughly revolutionary method of thinking produced an extremely
tame political conclusion. As a matter of fact, the specific form of this
conclusion springs from this, that Hegel was a German, and like his
contemporary Goethe had a bit of the philistine’s queue dangling behind. Each
of them was an Olympian Zeus in his own sphere, yet neither of them ever quite
freed himself from German philistinism.

But all this did not prevent the Hegelian system from covering an incomparably
greater domain than any earlier system, nor from developing in this domain a
wealth of thought, which is astounding even today. The phenomenology of mind
(which one may call a parallel of the embryology and palaeontology of the mind,
a development of individual consciousness through its different stages, set in
the form of an abbreviated reproduction of the stages through which the
consciousness of man has passed in the course of history), logic, natural
philosophy, philosophy of mind, and the latter worked out in its separate,
historical subdivisions: philosophy of history, of right, of religion, history
of philosophy, aesthetics, etc. — in all these different historical fields
Hegel labored to discover and demonstrate the pervading thread of development.
And as he was not only a creative genius but also a man of encyclopaedic
erudition, he played an epoch-making role in every sphere. It is self-evident
that owing to the needs of the “system” he very often had to resort to those
forced constructions about which his pigmy opponents make such a terrible fuss
even today. But these constructions are only the frame and scaffolding of his
work. If one does not loiter here needlessly, but presses on farther into the
immense building, one finds innumerable treasures which today still possess
undiminshed value. With all philosophers it is precisely the “system” which is
perishable; and for the simple reason that it springs from an imperishable
desire of the human mind — the desire to overcome all contradictions. But if
all contradictions are once and for all disposed of, we shall have arrived at
so-called absolute truth — world history will be at an end. And yet it has to
continue, although there is nothing left for it to do — hence, a new, insoluble
contradiction. As soon as we have once realized — and in the long run no one
has helped us to realize it more than Hegel himself — that the task of
philosophy thus stated means nothing but the task that a single philosopher
should accomplish that which can only be accomplished by the entire human race
in its progressive development — as soon as we realize that, there is an end to
all philosophy in the hitherto accepted sense of the word. One leaves alone
“absolute truth”, which is unattainable along this path or by any single
individual; instead, one pursues attainable relative truths along the path of
the positive sciences, and the summation of their results by means of
dialectical thinking. At any rate, with Hegel philosophy comes to an end; on
the one hand, because in his system he summed up its whole development in the
most splendid fashion; and on the other hand, because, even though
unconsciously, he showed us the way out of the labyrinth of systems to real
positive knowledge of the world.

One can imagine what a tremendous effect this Hegelian system must have
produced in the philosophy-tinged atmosphere of Germany. It was a triumphant
procession which lasted for decades and which by no means came to a standstill
on the death of Hegel. On the contrary, it was precisely from 1830 to 1840 that
“Hegelianism” reigned most exclusively, and to a greater or lesser extent
infected even its opponents. It was precisely in this period that Hegelian
views, consciously or unconsciously, most extensively penetrated the most
diversified sciences and leavened even popular literature and the daily press,
from which the average “educated consciousness” derives its mental pabulum. But
this victory along the whole front was only the prelude to an internal struggle.

As we have seen, the doctrine of Hegel, taken as a whole, left plenty of room
for giving shelter to the most diverse practical party views. And in the
theoretical Germany of that time, two things above all were practical: religion
and politics. Whoever placed the chief emphasis on the Hegelian system could be
fairly conservative in both spheres; whoever regarded the dialectical method as
the main thing could belong to the most extreme opposition, both in politics
and religion. Hegel himself, despite the fairly frequent outbursts of
revolutionary wrath in his works, seemed on the whole to be more inclined to
the conservative side. Indeed, his system had cost him much more “hard mental
plugging” than his method. Towards the end of the thirties, the cleavage in the
school became more and more apparent. The Left wing, the so-called Young
Hegelians, in their fight with the pietist orthodox and the feudal
reactionaries, abandoned bit by bit that philosophical-genteel reserve in
regard to the burning questions of the day which up to that time had secured
state toleration and even protection for their teachings. And when in 1840,
orthodox pietism and absolutist feudal reaction ascended the throne with
Frederick William IV, open partisanship became unavoidable. The fight was still
carried on with philosophical weapons, but no longer for abstract philosophical
aims. It turned directly on the destruction of traditional religion and of the
existing state. And while in the Deutsche Jahrbucher [B]the practical ends were
still predominantly put forward in philosophical disguise, in the Rheinische
Zeitung of 1842 the Young Hegelian school revealed itself directly as the
philosophy of the aspiring radical bourgeoisie and used the meagre cloak of
philosophy only to deceive the censorship.

At that time, however, politics was a very thorny field, and hence the main
fight came to be directed against religion; this fight, particularly since
1840, was indirectly also political. Strauss’ Life of Jesus, published in 1835,
had provided the first impulse. The theory therein developed of the formation
of the gospel myths was combated later by Bruno Bauer with proof that a whole
series of evangelic stories had been fabricated by the authors themselves. The
controversy between these two was carried out in the philosophical disguise of
a battle between “self-consciousness” and “substance”. The question whether the
miracle stories of the gospels came into being through unconscious-traditional
myth-creation within the bosom of the community or whether they were fabricated
by the evangelists themselves was magnified into the question whether, in world
history, “substance” or “self-consciousness” was the decisive operative force.
Finally came Stirner, the prophet of contemporary anarchism — Bakunin has taken
a great deal from him — and capped the sovereign “self-consciousness” by his
sovereign “ego”[C].

We will not go further into this side of the decomposition process of the
Hegelian school. More important for us is the following: the main body of the
most determined Young Hegelians was, by the practical necessities of its fight
against positive religion, driven back to Anglo-French materialism. This
brought them into conflict with the system of their school. While materialism
conceives nature as the sole reality, nature in the Hegelian system represents
merely the “alienation” of the absolute idea, so to say, a degradation of the
idea. At all events, thinking and its thought-product, the idea, is here the
primary, nature the derivative, which only exists at all by the condescension
of the idea. And in this contradiction they floundered as well or as ill as
they could.

Then came Feuerbach’s Essence of Christianity[D]. With one blow, it pulverized
the contradiction, in that without circumlocutions it placed materialism on the
throne again. Nature exists independently of all philosophy. It is the
foundation upon which we human beings, ourselves products of nature, have grown
up. Nothing exists outside nature and man, and the higher beings our religious
fantasies have created are only the fantastic reflection of our own essence.
The spell was broken; the “system” was exploded and cast aside, and the
contradiction, shown to exist only in our imagination, was dissolved. One must
himself have experienced the liberating effect of this book to get an idea of
it. Enthusiasm was general; we all became at once Feuerbachians. How
enthusiastically Marx greeted the new conception and how much — in spite of all
critical reservations — he was influenced by it, one may read in the The Holy
Family[E].

Even the shortcomings of the book contributed to its immediate effect. Its
literary, sometimes even high-flown, style secured for it a large public and
was at any rate refreshing after long years of abstract and abstruse
Hegelianizing. The same is true of its extravagant deification of love, which,
coming after the now intolerable sovereign rule of “pure reason”, had its
excuse, if not justification. But what we must not forget is that it was
precisely these two weaknesses of Feuerbach that “true Socialism”, which had
been spreading like a plague in educated Germany since 1844, took as its
starting-point, putting literary phrases in the place of scientific knowledge,
the liberation of mankind by means of “love” in place of the emancipation of
the proletariat through the economic transformation of production — in short,
losing itself in the nauseous fine writing and ecstacies of love typified by
Herr Karl Grun.

Another thing we must not forget is this: the Hegelian school disintegrated,
but Hegelian philosophy was not overcome through criticism; Strauss and Bauer
each took one of its sides and set it polemically against the other. Feuerbach
smashed the system and simply discarded it. But a philosophy is not disposed of
by the mere assertion that it is false. And so powerful a work as Hegelian
philosophy, which had exercised so enormous an influence on the intellectual
development of the nation, could not be disposed of by simply being ignored. It
had to be “sublated” in its own sense, that is, in the sense that while its
form had to be annihilatedhrough criticism, the new content which had been won
through it had to be saved. How this was brought about we shall see below.

But in the meantime, the Revolution of 1848 thrust the whole of philosophy
aside as unceremoniously as Feuerbach had thrust aside Hegel. And in the
process, Feuerbach himself was also pushed into the background.

Part 2: Materialism

Notes
1. Ludwig Feuerbach, by K.N. Starcke, Ph.D., Stuttgart, Ferd. Enke. 1885.

A. Engels had in mind Heine’s remarks on the “German philosophical revolution”
contained in the latter’s sketches Zur Geschichte der Religion und Philosophie
in Deutschland (On the History of Religion and Philosophy in Germany), written
in 1833.

B. The Deutsche Jahrbücher fur Wissenschaft und Kunst (German Annuals of
Science and Art): Organ of the Young Hegelians edited by A. Ruge and T.
Echtermeyer, and published in Leipzig from 1841 to 1843.

C. Engels refers to Max Stirner’s (pseudonym for Kaspar Schmidt) Der Einzige
und sein Eigentum (The Ego and His Own), which appeared in 1845.

D. Feuerbach’s Das Wesen des Christentums (The Essence of Christianity)
appeared in Leipzig in 1841.

E. The full title of this book by Marx and Engels is: Die Heilige Familie oder
Kritik der kritischen Kritik. Gegen Bruno Bauer und Konsorten (The Holy Family,
or a Criticism of Critical Criticism. Against Bruno Bauer and Co.). It was
originally published in Frankfort on the Main in 1845.

Table of Contents: Ludwig Feuerbach and the End of Classical German Philosophy

Whilst the writer pictures what he takes to be actually my method, in this
striking and [as far as concerns my own application of it] generous way, what
else is he picturing but the dialectic method?

Of course the method of presentation must differ in form from that of inquiry.
The latter has to appropriate the material in detail, to analyse its different
forms of development, to trace out their inner connexion. Only after this work
is done, can the actual movement be adequately described. If this is done
successfully, if the life of the subject-matter is ideally reflected as in a
mirror, then it may appear as if we had before us a mere a priori construction.

My dialectic method is not only different from the Hegelian, but is its direct
opposite. To Hegel, the life-process of the human brain, i.e., the process of
thinking, which, under the name of “the Idea,” he even transforms into an
independent subject, is the demiurgos of the real world, and the real world is
only the external, phenomenal form of “the Idea.” With me, on the contrary, the
ideal is nothing else than the material world reflected by the human mind, and
translated into forms of thought.

The mystifying side of Hegelian dialectic I criticised nearly thirty years ago,
at a time when it was still the fashion. But just as I was working at the first
volume of “Das Kapital,” it was the good pleasure of the peevish, arrogant,
mediocre Epigonoi [Epigones – Büchner, Dühring and others] who now talk large
in cultured Germany, to treat Hegel in same way as the brave Moses Mendelssohn
in Lessing’s time treated Spinoza, i.e., as a “dead dog.” I therefore openly
avowed myself the pupil of that mighty thinker, and even here and there, in the
chapter on the theory of value, coquetted with the modes of expression peculiar
to him. The mystification which dialectic suffers in Hegel’s hands, by no means
prevents him from being the first to present its general form of working in a
comprehensive and conscious manner. With him it is standing on its head. It
must be turned right side up again, if you would discover the rational kernel
within the mystical shell.

In its mystified form, dialectic became the fashion in Germany, because it
seemed to transfigure and to glorify the existing state of things. In its
rational form it is a scandal and abomination to bourgeoisdom and its
doctrinaire professors, because it includes in its comprehension and
affirmative recognition of the existing state of things, at the same time also,
the recognition of the negation of that state, of its inevitable breaking up;
because it regards every historically developed social form as in fluid
movement, and therefore takes into account its transient nature not less than
its momentary existence; because it lets nothing impose upon it, and is in its
essence critical and revolutionary.

The contradictions inherent in the movement of capitalist society impress
themselves upon the practical bourgeois most strikingly in the changes of the
periodic cycle, through which modern industry runs, and whose crowning point is
the universal crisis. That crisis is once again approaching, although as yet
but in its preliminary stage; and by the universality of its theatre and the
intensity of its action it will drum dialectics even into the heads of the
mushroom-upstarts of the new, holy Prusso-German empire.

Karl Marx
London
January 24, 1873

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/p3.htm

>>As for Lenin's MAEC, these issues have been argued endlessly.  MAEC
serves a limited function; it combats an overall positivist philosophy
based on a misuse of the natural sciences, ubiquitous in Lenin's time,
but it doesn't address more sophisticated issues about the relation of
subject and object (in relation to social formations).  However, that
doesn't mean Lenin was wrong about his arguments for philosophical
materialism in the most general sense. Natural science materialism,
like natural science itself, gives us the floor of a world view, but
not the ceiling.>>

But a post-mo would say, one can aver one is a materialist and yet
when doing philosophy display something else. Anglo-analytic types
jump on the very same tendencies for meaning in texts to drift beyond
stated intentions.

>>One thing that would be useful, given how much this stuff has been
rehashed, would be a more complete picture of the ideas circulating
towards the end of the 19th century and among whom.  The rebellion
against psychologism, the lineage of Frege and Husserl, the positivism
and vulgar evooutionism, social physics and social darwinism,
revolutions in mathematics and logic, the influence of Nietzsche, the
distillation of an intellectual entity known as Marxism, the birth of
modern sociology and social theory (Weber, Durkheim, Simmel, etc.),
traditions passed through Dilthey, neo-Kantianism, etc. etc. There was
a lot going on, but there is also a fragmentation of knowledge to
consider, a fragmentation that has yet to be overcome.  Even "Marxism"
remains fragmentation; I doubt there is a single person around with an
intimate familiarity with all the schools of thought that marxism has
generated or fused with.<<

What interests me is the way Marxism survives the turn to
post-structuralism and the wider postmodernism, even though the
results are dismaying to many Marxists.

Finally, about the fragmentation of knowledge issue. The modernists
pointed this out (that poetic 'heap of broken images' in Yeats). So
simplistically speaking, I could say much of what made modernism a
condition was the belief that through sophistication and refined
methods, they could pull it all together. And in 1945, some got the
realization that the post-modern already existed and the modernists
hadn't succeeded. (Lyotard specifically picks out the year 1945, but
he also points out that for modernism to exist, there already had to
be a 'post-modern').

I pass over the issue with the thought that as knowledge has expanded
and fragmented into micro-disciplines, many of which can't even
communicate with closely related specialties, I also get the feeling
that most of this expansion and branching of knowledge--outside of a
small percentage of the happy accidents of science and
technology--isn't really very useful for everyday life. In my own
profession (foreign language teaching, applied linguistics), I wish to
shift back to phenomenological and existential concerns because deep
down I feel there is very little to be done in terms of collective
action counter the capitalist-commercial, elite institutional, and
scientistic domination of the field I'm forced to work in.  End of
confession.
CJ

^^^^^^^
CB: Always good to learn more about comrades.

Applied linguistics !  So lets go back and talk about structuralism's
relatinship to post-mods