CeJ jannuzi --

RD:

>>You certainly cannot understand Marx without understanding the Young
Hegelian milieu. The Second International Marxists never understood it
and Engels' pamphlet on Feuerbach did not provide sufficient
information and perspective.>>

Agreed, but one 'popular' view that we often are asked to inherit sees
a simple line of development of nascent possibilities finding Hegel's
philosophy, and then falling under the influence of Feuerbach and
Bruno Bauer (the latter being Marx's mentor). Marx's doctoral thesis,
although it appears sophomoric compared to most of the texts we
consider as source material ,

^^^
CB: I think Marx was a senior when he wrote it ( smile)

^^^^^

 displays Marx as part idealist
philosopher, but grounded in concerns that seem to predict some of his
future directions (e.g., an eye for details and specifics rather than
generalizations) . But more importantly than that, later Marx goes
'back to Hegel', and even says he does, and many see this as the key
to understanding the genesis of the creation or discovery of
historical materialism and the later form of materialism, which
Engels's called dialectical materialism. This comes to light in the
Theses on Feuerbach, written in 1845 but published by Engels in 1888.

^^^^^^^
CB: Here's Marx on his relationship to Hegel

Whilst the writer pictures what he takes to be actually my method, in this
striking and [as far as concerns my own application of it] generous way, what
else is he picturing but the dialectic method?

Of course the method of presentation must differ in form from that of inquiry.
The latter has to appropriate the material in detail, to analyse its different
forms of development, to trace out their inner connexion. Only after this work
is done, can the actual movement be adequately described. If this is done
successfully, if the life of the subject-matter is ideally reflected as in a
mirror, then it may appear as if we had before us a mere a priori construction.

My dialectic method is not only different from the Hegelian, but is its direct
opposite. To Hegel, the life-process of the human brain, i.e., the process of
thinking, which, under the name of “the Idea,” he even transforms into an
independent subject, is the demiurgos of the real world, and the real world is
only the external, phenomenal form of “the Idea.” With me, on the contrary, the
ideal is nothing else than the material world reflected by the human mind, and
translated into forms of thought.

The mystifying side of Hegelian dialectic I criticised nearly thirty years ago,
at a time when it was still the fashion. But just as I was working at the first
volume of “Das Kapital,” it was the good pleasure of the peevish, arrogant,
mediocre Epigonoi [Epigones – Büchner, Dühring and others] who now talk large
in cultured Germany, to treat Hegel in same way as the brave Moses Mendelssohn
in Lessing’s time treated Spinoza, i.e., as a “dead dog.” I therefore openly
avowed myself the pupil of that mighty thinker, and even here and there, in the
chapter on the theory of value, coquetted with the modes of expression peculiar
to him. The mystification which dialectic suffers in Hegel’s hands, by no means
prevents him from being the first to present its general form of working in a
comprehensive and conscious manner. With him it is standing on its head. It
must be turned right side up again, if you would discover the rational kernel
within the mystical shell.

In its mystified form, dialectic became the fashion in Germany, because it
seemed to transfigure and to glorify the existing state of things. In its
rational form it is a scandal and abomination to bourgeoisdom and its
doctrinaire professors, because it includes in its comprehension and
affirmative recognition of the existing state of things, at the same time also,
the recognition of the negation of that state, of its inevitable breaking up;
because it regards every historically developed social form as in fluid
movement, and therefore takes into account its transient nature not less than
its momentary existence; because it lets nothing impose upon it, and is in its
essence critical and revolutionary.

The contradictions inherent in the movement of capitalist society impress
themselves upon the practical bourgeois most strikingly in the changes of the
periodic cycle, through which modern industry runs, and whose crowning point is
the universal crisis. That crisis is once again approaching, although as yet
but in its preliminary stage; and by the universality of its theatre and the
intensity of its action it will drum dialectics even into the heads of the
mushroom-upstarts of the new, holy Prusso-German empire.

Karl Marx
London
January 24, 1873

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/p3.htm

>>As for Lenin's MAEC, these issues have been argued endlessly.  MAEC
serves a limited function; it combats an overall positivist philosophy
based on a misuse of the natural sciences, ubiquitous in Lenin's time,
but it doesn't address more sophisticated issues about the relation of
subject and object (in relation to social formations).  However, that
doesn't mean Lenin was wrong about his arguments for philosophical
materialism in the most general sense. Natural science materialism,
like natural science itself, gives us the floor of a world view, but
not the ceiling.>>

But a post-mo would say, one can aver one is a materialist and yet
when doing philosophy display something else. Anglo-analytic types
jump on the very same tendencies for meaning in texts to drift beyond
stated intentions.

>>One thing that would be useful, given how much this stuff has been
rehashed, would be a more complete picture of the ideas circulating
towards the end of the 19th century and among whom.  The rebellion
against psychologism, the lineage of Frege and Husserl, the positivism
and vulgar evooutionism, social physics and social darwinism,
revolutions in mathematics and logic, the influence of Nietzsche, the
distillation of an intellectual entity known as Marxism, the birth of
modern sociology and social theory (Weber, Durkheim, Simmel, etc.),
traditions passed through Dilthey, neo-Kantianism, etc. etc. There was
a lot going on, but there is also a fragmentation of knowledge to
consider, a fragmentation that has yet to be overcome.  Even "Marxism"
remains fragmentation; I doubt there is a single person around with an
intimate familiarity with all the schools of thought that marxism has
generated or fused with.<<

What interests me is the way Marxism survives the turn to
post-structuralism and the wider postmodernism, even though the
results are dismaying to many Marxists.

Finally, about the fragmentation of knowledge issue. The modernists
pointed this out (that poetic 'heap of broken images' in Yeats). So
simplistically speaking, I could say much of what made modernism a
condition was the belief that through sophistication and refined
methods, they could pull it all together. And in 1945, some got the
realization that the post-modern already existed and the modernists
hadn't succeeded. (Lyotard specifically picks out the year 1945, but
he also points out that for modernism to exist, there already had to
be a 'post-modern').

I pass over the issue with the thought that as knowledge has expanded
and fragmented into micro-disciplines, many of which can't even
communicate with closely related specialties, I also get the feeling
that most of this expansion and branching of knowledge--outside of a
small percentage of the happy accidents of science and
technology--isn't really very useful for everyday life. In my own
profession (foreign language teaching, applied linguistics), I wish to
shift back to phenomenological and existential concerns because deep
down I feel there is very little to be done in terms of collective
action counter the capitalist-commercial, elite institutional, and
scientistic domination of the field I'm forced to work in.  End of
confession.
CJ

^^^^^^^
CB: Always good to learn more about comrades.

Applied linguistics !  So lets go back and talk about structuralism's
relatinship to post-mods