#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On 3/13/2016 9:49 PM, Ken Hiebert via Marxism wrote:
We should not expect the younger activists to listen to us unless they see us
as fellow fighters, as people on their side.
Standing with them on the street, we may get a hearing for our views.
And maybe not even then.

My own experiences both as a young activist @ Pentagon '67 and an old activist @ OLA '11 is that many young activists will largely discount the advice of old people, even activists, in any case. Of course they are wrong to do so but they are young. This will be all the more the case if we are not providing, or even attempting to provide leadership but instead tailing behind their "leadership" and merely cheering them on.

So, I don't know what requirements young activists should have for listening to those with more experience but I don't think it should be limited to those who already support their specific tactics. Even if that is the case, I think we would be tailing behind to endorse that. And in that regard, I would like to take special exception to your last sentence above and explain why the requirement to be "Standing with them on the street." to get a hearing really rubs me the wrong way.

It has to do with Occupy LA. Occupy LA was rather unique among the big city occupations in that the city conceded to us the legal right to occupy city hall park - city council passed a resolution 2 weeks into the occupation. I have written about this in great detail on my blog, the DailyKos and WL Central. As a result the infamous LAPD was on their very best behavior.

This "peaceful" co-existence was allowing us to build an extremely broad and stable occupation - before things turned we had 300-400 tents all around city hall and regular protests of 10K-15K, even middle class older whites, people you might today see at Trump rallies, were starting to show up with their tents and sleeping bags.

From the POV of this old activist this "legal" occupation [full discourse - I helped engineer it the evening before day 1 and joined the OLA city liaison team in its final days in an effort to extend it.] was paying big dividends for the movement both locally and nationally.

Of course, not everybody saw it that way. In particular there was a group of young activists, anarchists some of them, that wanted what Oakland had. They wanted confrontation with the police and they actively worked to undermine the peace with the police. They were opportunistically joined and supported by "Marxists" from the PSL and WPP that came to the occupation late and were looking for a way in. Eventually they got their way, but that's a longer story. Anyway back to this line "Standing with them on the street."

We had many marches during the 60+ days of the occupation, more than 1 a day, some were huge and filled the streets others were smaller, and permit of not, the LAPD was cooperating. If we had a lot of people they would block the streets, if we had not so many, they would ask us to confine it to the sidewalks. But no matter what, there would be this small anarchist/ulta-left "streets belong to the people" group that wanted confrontation with the police. Even if we only had a hundred people, they would still try to march in the streets.

We are bring families with strollers out to march against the big banks and the 1% for the first time and these youth wearing black bandana want to get their rocks off by street fighting with the police and for sure they don't want to hear from anyone not already "Standing with them on the street." Just sad to see that backwardness endorsed on a Marxist list.