#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I have managed to make my way to a computer and decided to just ignore
Jeff.

The two issues I mentioned that I take with some of Greenstein's writings
(but not this one in particular) -- witch-hunts for anti-Semitism and
ethnocentrism -- are as follows.

Greenstein was one of a number of liberal and pseudo-left bloggers who
showed up on Stanford SJP's page attempting to rationalize the cancellation
of the Palestinian refugee event, ostensibly because Alison Weir had shown
up to support the event, but actually because of an argument about whether
or not it was appropriate (given the repressive campus climate) for the
refugees to challenge Israel's "right to exist". We have already discussed
this incident in depth and I would refer comrades to this particular post
in which I compiled all of the relevant links:
https://www.mail-archive.com/marxism%40lists.csbs.utah.edu/msg16512.html

Since that time, Greenstein appears to have deleted a number of his own
posts on the Facebook page, including those in which another commentator
challenged him by calling attention to (groundless) accusations of
anti-Semitism against Greenstein from Zionists in the UK, as well as
Greenstein's support for Corbyn against such allegations. This is an
important point: Corbyn was being slandered as an anti-Semite for having
visited a small, pro-Palestinian community org in the UK ten years prior in
which one of the members was an obscure Holocaust denier named Paul Eisen.

After the original Alison Weir debacle (when the heads of two
pro-Palestinian orgs, JVP and USCEIO, put out statements alleging Alison
Weir to be unacceptably tolerating of anti-Semitism), there was a massive
backlash from the rank-and-file of both of those organizations, along with
a number of prominent left people (Richard Falk, Joel Kovel, Sunaina Maira,
Cindy Sheehan, David Rovics, and others): stopdivisiveattacks.wordpress.com
.

Almost immediately after this petition was started, Greenstein issued
statements condemning the condemnation of Weir, and managed to comb through
the list of hundreds of names and cherry-picked out the same Paul Eisen
<http://azvsas.blogspot.com/2015/07/jvp-dissociates-itself-from-alison-weir.html>
(who is not one of the prominent "VIPs" listed at the top of the petition,
but one of the hundreds of names from common activists). What's more, he
later eulogized one of Alison Weir's most ardent supporters, Hedy Epstein.
Epstein, a Holocaust survivor and a civil rights activist, had worked with
Alison Weir extensively, traveled to Palestine with Weir, and organized an
event featuring Weir as the speaker
<http://www.ifamericansknew.org/media/hedyepstein.html> *after the
accusations* from JVP and USCEIO. Epstein is also one of the "VIPs" listed
in the petition in defense of Weir. And yet Hedy is praised by Greenstein
<http://azvsas.blogspot.com/2016/05/hedy-epstein-woman-who-was-saint-in-her.html>
as someone who knew that racism is bad, etc.

As I mentioned prior, Greenstein has also had the audacity to compare
<http://azvsas.blogspot.com/2011/12/richard-falk-expends-on-his.html> Richard
Falk, the former UN Special Rapporteur to Palestine to Nazi philosopher
Martin Heidegger. He makes the same accusation against Falk that were made
against Weir, namely being an apologist for anti-Semitism.

Greenstein's worst comments of course, were saved for Counter-Punch. Again,
we have already discussed on this list the absurd "statistics"
<https://louisproyect.org/2015/07/24/in-defense-of-counterpunch/> that
Greenstein compiled to allege that Counter-Punch is part of some sort of
Nazi infiltration politics. He similarly smears Louis as an ex-Marxist
(apparently for hosting the piece I wrote about the accusations against
Weir). That is not to say that Counter-Punch has not, in fact, fucked up
occasionally (such as by publishing Diana Johnstone's awful commentary
about immigration or by granting space to a small number of unknowns to
promote conspiracy theories). But it is quite another to reduce the entire
publication to a Nazi rag and call on leftists to boycott it, let alone
citing statistics produced by a crank.

In short, Greenstein's accusations of anti-Semitism are all over the place.
He defends Corbyn from an associational attack based on having visted Paul
Eisen, and then smears the pro-Weir petition for the same reason. He
condemns Weir as an anti-Semite while praising one of her most ardent
supporters as a committed anti-racist. He defends that supporter, who
helped organize events for Weir, while attempting to rationalize shutting
down a Palestinian refugee's event ostensibly because of Weir's support
for/presence at the event. He then deletes those rationalizations. He calls
for boycotting a flagship left publication using completely absurd
statistics and by referencing their refusal to agree with his accusations
against one of their occasional contributors, namely Atzmon. These
accusations are internally contradictory. The fact that they are being
alleged against leftists and pro-Palestine commentators, often based on
multiple degrees of separation, leads me to conclude that this kind of
commentary is basically a witch-hunt. It is not limited to anti-Semitic
commentary, but extends to those who disagree with such accusations, events
in which those who disagree with the accusations are present, publications
that publish non-racist and non-rightist commentary by those alleged to be
so, and so forth.

It's not surprising that his thoughts are all over the place, given the
framework from which he approaches Palestine solidarity activism, namely
the ethnocentric one I mentioned. If we were to start our advocacy for
Palestine from the premise that Palestinians are people and that all of
them, including those who are out of sight and mind -- such as the refugees
-- are agents of their own struggle, it would not make sense to engage in
this kind of witch-hunt. Like attempts to comb through black resistance
movements to find "anti-whiteism," -- something that is certainly present
on occasion
<https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/nation-islam>
and
from which one can thereby begin to smear the entirety of black resistance
-- it is a form of politics premised entirely around the fate and inclusion
of the dominant community, wherein the interests of the subjugated
community are secondary.

Anna Baltzer
<http://mondoweiss.net/2012/10/the-privileging-of-jewish-american-voices-on-the-issue-is-rooted-in-racism>
and Nada Elia
<http://mondoweiss.net/2016/04/it-is-time-to-stop-celebrating-jewish-dissent-in-the-palestine-solidarity-movement/>
have both written on the privileging of Jewish voices. Ironically, so has JVP's
executive director
<http://interviews.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/21194/what-is-the-role-of-academia-in-political-change_t>,
who explicitly invokes this privilege
<http://mondoweiss.net/2016/06/washington-publishes-boycott/>. Much of
Greenstein's writings are centered around the Jewish community's
relationship to Zionism and anti-Semitism. His website's URL is "azvsas" --
that is, *a*nti-*Z*ionism *vs*. *a*nti-*S*emitism. He is completely correct
to point out that Zionism is an ideology rooted in anti-Semitic narratives.
It is quite another thing to use this as the starting point for
pro-Palestinian advocacy today. The fact of historical Jewish opposition to
Zionism (and vice versa) does not change the fact that Zionism today is a
white supremacist project, wherein Jews -- including Jews outside of
Palestine -- are posited as the racially dominant community. Premising
pro-Palestinian advocacy around the fate, inclusion, history, and agency of
this community is by definition ethnocentric. I cannot locate the exact
blog post but a few years ago, I remember Greenstein writing about how his
feelings about solidarity with Palestine were outgrowths of his anguish
about the Holocaust, wherein defending the human dignity of Palestinians
was a logical corollary to recognizing the inhumanity of the Holocaust
toward Jews. I don't want to misquote it as I do not have it in front of
me, but this is the sort of "ethnocentrism" I am speaking of.

The human dignity of Palestinians is guaranteed irrespective of the
situation of Jews in the West. One should not need to see Palestinian human
rights as an outgrowth of rejecting the hatred of other groups (even if
that is how one encountered the subject), just as one need not see the
defense of black rights as an outgrowth of recognizing the humanity of
white people. But this is the premise of this kind of politics, which
attempts to jujitsu accusations of anti-Semitism from Zionists by
emphasizing that Zionists are the ones who actually have a history of
intolerance against the Jews. Given that this is the starting point of the
narrative he has crafted, how can anyone be surprised that his accusations
of anti-Semitism are all over the place? Of course when you are blasting a
shotgun you will occasionally hit people who actually use irresponsible
rhetoric and delve into anti-Jewish narratives, like Gilad Atzmon. But
these accusations have extended well past that. At the same time, he has
been ardent in defending liberal Jewish groups that take decidedly weaker
stances on Zionism, such as JVP. It is unsurprising then that a
conversation that premises the Palestinian narrative entirely around the
experiences of Jews would engender an environment in which accusations of
anti-Semitism are bandied about carelessly not only by Greenstein but also
against him by Zionists. The story is explicitly framed as one of the
Jewish community and their experiences and relationship to the Zionist
project, even when in opposition.

- Amith