#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On 14/02/2018 19:41, David McDonald via Marxism wrote:

Well, you're the archive guy, David. But my volume 2 of Capital, which I am
looking at right now, says nothing about Engels translating Vol 2 of
Capital. It says "Extensive use has been made of the English translation of
the second volume of Capital, published by Charles H. Kerr & Co., Chicago,
1909." Mine is the standard 3-volume paperback boxed set that many of us
got back in the 70's. It's a reproduction of the Progress Publishers
edition.

I rewgret to say that I think my colleague and comrade David W is wrong here. The Kerr edition wasn't published until 13 years after Engels' death. My Moscow edition of Capital III just says "Edited by Friedrich Engels". Looking briefly at the introduction to the Penguin (retranslation) edition of Capital II I can find no reference to the translator of the original English version - although a closer examination might reveal some information.

Next I am looking at the Charles H Kerr blurb for the above-referenced
complete three-volume first English edition of Capital, and it also says
nothing about volumes 2 & 3 being translated by Engels. It does NOT
indicate who translated from the German. My thinking is that translation by
Engels would be a serious selling point, so I wonder why it is not
mentioned either by Charles H Kerr or by International Publishers.

I'm pretty sure I remember the name Wilhelm Wolff being associated with the
translation of Capital but I lack the energy to track it down. Now I am
going to message Lucia Pradella to see what she knows, she's been heavy
into the newly opened up original Marx writings for volumes 2 & 3.

The first volume of capital is dedicated to Wilhelm Wolff, who was a close friend and comrade of Marx, but he died before the completion of Capital Vol 1 and left Marx a small legacy. He had nothing to do with translating it.

Einde O'Callaghan (also MIA)

---
http://www.avg.com