#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Decades ago I saw a one-person performance of something I recall as Scarlett
Fever.  The performer grew up in Georgia and gave us a lesson on racism in that
state.  He suggested that the crowd that turned out to the premiere of Gone
With the Wind was bigger than the population of Atlanta itself.  I’m not sure
he was right, but the massive crowd meant that every human being living in
Atlanta was there or, as he said, people flooded into Atlanta.  He said it was
one of the biggest celebrations of white supremacy since the Civil War.  See
the account below.
                ken h

http://www.aboutnorthgeorgia.com/ang/Atlanta_Premiere_of_Gone_With_The_Wind
<http://www.aboutnorthgeorgia.com/ang/Atlanta_Premiere_of_Gone_With_The_Wind>

Noticeably absent were Hattie McDaniel (Mammy) and Butterfly McQueen (Prissy),
black actresses with major roles who were not welcome in the white side of the
segregated Atlanta society. Noticeably present was a young Martin Luther King,
Jr., who sang in a "negro boys choir" from his father's church, Ebenezer
Baptist.

Spotlights swept the sky with huge beacons of light. Peachtree at Pryor Street
was closed to traffic. An enormous crowd, numbering 300,000 people according to
the Atlanta Constitution, lined the streets on this ice-cold night in Atlanta.
Car after car paused at Lowe's Grand Theater as the stars came out. Wild cheers
greeted each celebrity as they braved the cold to participate in a brief radio
interview.

A rousing ovation greeted a group Confederate veterans who were guests of honor.