On 6/6/2010 5:33 PM, Shane Mage wrote:
> Is India an oppressed or oppressing nation? If the first, who is
> oppressing it?
> Kashmir, as virtually all the Kahmiris know, is clearly an oppressed
> nation--who is oppressing it?

The Miskitu Indians of Nicaragua were --and remain-- an oppressed
people. Nicaragua as a whole was --and remains-- an oppressed nation.

Shane's rhetorical questions show he does not understand imperialism as
a *system,* and not just a policy or a relationship of subordination
between two nations or peoples.

This is also my reply to Sartesian's argument about Argentina, Brazil
and Haiti.

How can I claim there is something progressive about the policies or
Kirchner or Lula? The same way I claim there was something progressive
about Lincoln despite the policy of outright genocide of the United
States towards the indigenous peoples of North America before, during
and after Mr. Lincoln's presidency.

These arguments all reek of moralizing.

To be even clearer: Does anyone doubt that native peoples in Bolivia
have been oppressed and exploited?

Does anyone doubt that Bolivia as a whole has been oppressed and
exploited as a nation?  That is true despite the fact that the white and
mixed-race Bolivian population have been the instruments of, and in some
senses benefactors from, the oppression of the indigenous people.

You can make the same argument in relation to the Black and indigenous
populations throughout the Caribbean as well as Central and South America.

The "poor little Tibet and big bad China" or "poor little Kashmir and
big bad India" arguments REALLY amount to saying everybody's an
imperialist, thereby letting the real imperialists off the hook.

Ah, you say. But weren't you arguing that imperialism is a system, and
NOT a relationship? Yes, but it is a system whose most salient
characteristic is the division of the world between a relative handful
of oppressor nations and a big majority of oppressed nations.

But "everyone" is an oppressor, you exclaim.

Yes, but that Cuban whites and mulattos oppressed Black Cubans did not
stop the country that those whites dominated, Cuba, from being oppressed
and exploited first as a direct colony of Spain and then as a semicolony
of the United States.

And even MORE interesting in this regard is that a central demand of the
liberation movement to win independence from Spain was abolition of
slavery, and that rich Cuban patriotic landowners initiated the War for
Independence in 1868 (known as the ten year war) by freeing their slaves
so they could join with the former slaveowners as free men to battle
against the Spanish.

So, yes, the relationships and dynamics can be complicated, but they are
far from impenetrable. The argument is deployed in  terms of Kashmir and
Tibet because those are distant places that comrades have no feel for.

If Shane Mage had chosen to illustrate his argument with, for example,
the oppression of Chiapas Indians in Mexico or Blacks in Puerto Rico, to
argue implicitly that Puerto Rico is not a colony and Mexico is not a
semicolony, it would only take comrades about a second and a half before
deciding the argument was a phony, and its real import was to cover up
U.S. domination.

How to judge which are the oppressor countries and the oppressed
countries? This has to be done on a world scale, considering the world
complex of social, economic and political relations as a whole.

But even more broadly, beyond national oppression: Does the very
evident, even blatant privileges enjoyed by the average worker in the
imperialist countries relative to the world working class as a whole
mean that the working classes of the imperialist countries are not
exploited and oppressed classes?

I hope my critics will at least TRY to understand my view: imperialism
is inherent in the social, economic and political space that we inhabit.
It is analogous to Einstein's view of "gravity," which is NOT a
relationship (in this case of attraction) between two bodies but rather
the result of the "warping" of space-time by the masses of the bodies in
that space.

In discussing say, the relationship between the earth and sun, it is
close enough to speak of attraction and so on. But if you want to deal
with the universe as a whole, you *have* to go Einsteinian.

Joaquín