/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


I'm running Mandrake 7.02 (kernel 2.2.14) with RoadRunner (cable modem)
and DHCP. My internet connection (eth0) is fine, but my internal box cannot
ping the gateway (192.168.0.1). I don't see any green lights on the NIC card
of
the internal win98 box when I connect it to the linux NIC card (eth1). That
card works
fine, though if connected directly to RoadRunner.

After going thru the mail list archive - I think things are set up right -as
far as I can tell. I use the rc.firewall script from the HOW-TO.
My win98 box has IP set to 192.168.0.2, and gateway set to 192.168.0.1.
I set DNS to the RoadRunner settings.
I'm still confused as to whether I need to recompile the kernel and build
the masq modules. I included networking when I installed - the modprobe seems
to run fine - but I've seen questions about recompiling and sometimes the
response is that you don't need to (if using Mandrake 7).

My MASQ server (linux box) has a 3Com officeConnect PCI (3C50H0100-TX) - eth0
and a 3Com EtherLink III ISA 3C509b-TPO - eth1.
My MASQ'd box (win98) has a 3Com EtherLink PCI (3C905C-TX)

[ ifconfig -a ]
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:DA:B4:7D:EB
          inet addr:24.93.21.245  Bcast:24.93.21.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:424 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:253 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:3
          collisions:1 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:9 Base address:0xfc80

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:04:19:5D:79
          inet addr:192.168.0.1  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x300

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          RX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

[ ipchains -L ]
Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
target     prot opt     source                destination           ports
ACCEPT     udp  ------  anywhere             anywhere              bootps ->
bootpc
Chain forward (policy DENY):
target     prot opt     source                destination           ports
MASQ       all  ------  192.168.0.0/24       anywhere              n/a
Chain output (policy ACCEPT):

[ netstat -rn ]
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
24.93.21.0      0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0 lo
0.0.0.0         24.93.21.1      0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 eth0

[ rc.firewall ]
After I reboot and check /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward - it's always 0,
but if I run the rc.firewall script by hand, it is set correctly to 1.
So I always set it manually - usually with the standard echo line.

Any help is really appreciated...
thanks

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to