John - I followed your advice, and tried the build/install step again after
downloading a completely fresh svn copy of the source:

svn co
https://matplotlib.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/matplotlib/trunk/matplotlib
matplotlib
cd matplotlib
sudo PREFIX=/Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/Current/ make -f
make.osx fetch deps mpl_install

It successfully compiled and installed matplotlib in my site-packages
directory.  However, I still see this in ipython:

>>from matplotlib import ft2font
ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)

/Users/mhearne/<ipython console> in <module>()

ImportError:
dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/6.0.0/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so,
 2): Symbol not found: _FT_Attach_File
  Referenced from:
/Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/6.0.0/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so
  Expected in: flat namespace
 in
/Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/6.0.0/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so

Am I missing some other step?

Thanks,

Mike