On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Michael Hearne <mhea...@usgs.gov> wrote:
> John - I followed your advice, and tried the build/install step again after
> downloading a completely fresh svn copy of the source:
>
> svn co
> https://matplotlib.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/matplotlib/trunk/matplotlib
> matplotlib
> cd matplotlib
> sudo PREFIX=/Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/Current/ make -f
> make.osx fetch deps mpl_install
>
> It successfully compiled and installed matplotlib in my site-packages
> directory.  However, I still see this in ipython:
>
>>>from matplotlib import ft2font
> ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)
>
> /Users/mhearne/<ipython console> in <module>()
>
> ImportError:
> dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/6.0.0/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so,
>  2): Symbol not found: _FT_Attach_File
>  Referenced from:
> /Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/6.0.0/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so
>  Expected in: flat namespace
>  in
> /Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/6.0.0/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so
>
> Am I missing some other step?

One possibility is that the path from the traceback

  /Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/6.0.0/lib/python2.6/site-packages

is not the same as your PREFIX
"PREFIX=/Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/Current/"

unless "Current" is a symlink to 6.0.0 which it very well may be.  Can
you confirm?  If you are getting different versions, you'll need to
set your PYTHONPATH.

Alternatively, we may need to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH or similar to
find the libs we built.  They should be in $PREFIX/lib.  You can use
otool to see what the linker is finding in your current environment

  > otool -L
/Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/Current/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so

There may be another way -- you can set your prefix to something like

  PREFIX=~/tmpbuild

and then build as before but do 'make binaries' rather than 'make
mpl_install'.  Then use the binary installer to do the system install.
This may get you a build with the support libs statically linked in,
though I am not sure about this.  Sorry this is such a pain -- I keep
trying to make a build script that works for people but it obviously
isn't there yet.

JDH