On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Michael Hearne <mhea...@usgs.gov> wrote:
> I've had several problems with building on OS X in the past, and was just
> notified that a bug I opened about it has closed.  Eric Firing suggested that
> I re-open the bug if it is still a problem.  It is still a problem, but I
> can't seem to figure out how to re-open my bug report, so I'll report it
> again here with an update on the procedures I followed.
>
> First, I downloaded a fresh copy of matplotlib source:
>
> svn co
> https://matplotlib.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/matplotlib/trunk/matplotlib
> matplotlib
>
> Then, following the instructions I found in README.osx:
> PREFIX=/Users/mhearne/build make -f make.osx fetch deps mpl_install
>
> I then moved my current matplotlib (one from Enthought) aside:
> cd
> /Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/Current/lib/python2.6/site-packages
> sudo mv matplotlib matplotlib.old
>
> I then used setup.py to install matplotlib:
> sudo /Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python setup.py
> install

You do not want to do this last step.  The mpl_install in the make
command will handle the install.  This last step may be building
against different libs, which is probably why you are seeing the
ft2font import link problem.

Note that the install will be put into
$PREFIX/lib/python.6/site-packages so the PREFIX should be your
installation target, not your build target.  Ie, it looks like you are
not setting the PREFIX according to the intent.

I suggest something like

  > sudo PREFIX=/Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/Current/
make -f deps mpl_install

for your current file hierarchy.  Alternatively, you can do

  > PREFIX=/Users/mhearne/build make -f make binaries

and then use the binary installers that are built to do the site wide install.

JDH