On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 11:28 PM, Wayne Watson
<sierra_mtnv...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Well, I'm not quite sure what to say to your claim. In certain instances I
> am trying to get through to someone here that something is missing for
> newbies. In one word, pedagogy (as perhaps in a text book, not a reference
> manual or dictionary). I'm trying to be positive about it, and not negative.
> Positive criticism I hope. I apologize if I offend you.

The main matplotlib documentation has a section called "user's guide"
(http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/contents.html). And the third item
in the user's guide is "pyplot tutorial". So, I believe anyone who're
willing to learn matplotlib, is willing to read through some sections
of the user's guide and at least the tutorial. Is my standard too
high?

I'm not saying that the documentation is complete, and any suggestion
(or even contribution) will be very appreciated. However, while you're
saying that "pedagogy" is missing in our documentation, but it seems
like that you  haven't even read the very basic tutorial (because, as
John said, the answer to your original question is in that tutorial).
And I doubt how this could be positive criticism (while I understand
you want to be positive).

Anyhow, for your original question, try

  plot([0, 1, 2], [0, 1.5, 2], "-")
  plot([1], [1.5], "go")