Dear Wayne Watson,

As yourself I'm also new to matplotlib (and python) and I know that learning
such a library can be overwhelming at first. Still, this community/mailist
has answered all my newbie questions, even when they were clearly in the
manual or have already been answered in previous posts. All this free of
charge!

We actually have the privilege of having the developers inhabiting the user
list! This is not true in many users-lists that I dwell.

You mentioned matlab in your message as the way to go. If your project has a
budget for license and support, maybe that is indeed the way to go.
Otherwise, if you come from a matlab background as myself, you might be
interested in these two links:

http://www.scipy.org/NumPy_for_Matlab_Users

and

http://mathesaurus.sourceforge.net/matlab-numpy.html

They are not matplotlib references, but help to understand how things are
done before you "fire-a-plot".

Hope that help you in your learning adventure. Also, you might find useful
to read this:

It is BSD related, but most is true for any maillist.

Best, Filipe