I have worked in highschool on a project "Beam tracing" where I had to
subdivide triangles from a certain point of view with z-ordering and with
such a subdivision how they are covered by the viewing beam.  This means
this engine you want to write already exists.  See the following ascii
graphics:

 +------------+
 |           /
 |   1      /
 |         /
 |  +-----/------+
 |   \ 2 /      /
 |    \ /      /
 |     /   3  /
 |    / \    /
 |   /   \  /
 |  /     \/
 | /
 |/

Say that 1 is in front of 2 + 3.  Then the engine will leave 1 unchanged,
will discard 2, and will subdivide 3 into a number of sub-triangles, which
comprise 3 exactly.

Don't know whether you are interested in the tringles at all or only in the
pathes of their contours.

The engine assumes that the sets of points comprising the sufaces of the
triangles are disjoint.

Friedrich