John Hunter wrote:
[...]
> It looks like we have enough 3D projects to justify a google summer of
> code student. Would those of you with an interest in mplot3d and some
> knowledge of the internals be interested in helping mentor a student?

http://www.mail-archive.com/matplotlib-de...@lists.sourceforge.net/msg01343.html

Is it time for some re-thinking of the approach to 3-D?  I am a
bystander, but I have the uneasy sense that trying to turn mplot3d into
a first-class 3-D plotting tool may be a misapplication of effort.
Might the effort be more productive if applied to mayavi, or built on
mayavi, so that the 3-D engine is already taken care of?

Eric