2010/2/26 Gael Varoquaux <gael.varoqu...@normalesup.org>:
> What Eric was most probably talking about is the newer versions of
> Mayavi, that we tend to call 'mayavi2', even though we are now up to
> version 3, in particular the mlab interface:
>
> http://code.enthought.com/projects/mayavi/docs/development/html/mayavi/mlab.html
>
> which is demoed in the examples:
> http://code.enthought.com/projects/mayavi/docs/development/html/mayavi/auto/examples.html
>
> I believe that Mayavi does take care of the task you are interested in.
> It has its limitation and annoyances, but a lot of people use it quite
> efficiently to do 3D plotting, for simple problems to very complex ones.

Wow, that's really impressive!  I admit that adding 3D plotting
capability to matplotlib would be like reinventing the wheel, and it
would be a quite rectangular-shaped wheel.

But, unfortunately, I need a physical rendering engine with light
sources and reflectance/transmittance simulation from real measured
data anyway, and the 3D rendering engine will be a byproduct.  But, I
think, it would be more easy to use Agg directly as the backend rather
than going via matplotlib, although it may be an option.

Friedrich