Mark,

there are two papers on this subject online for the upcoming 2008
Museums and the Web conference. See

  New Media Art in Museum Collections: A Report from the DOCAM
Cataloguing and Conservation Committees
http://www.archimuse.com/mw2008/papers/gagnier/gagnier.html

and

Ethnographic Methods and New Media Preservation
http://www.archimuse.com/mw2008/papers/adamczyk/adamczyk.html

There are others from the past too -- you can search the site or the
bibliography.

you'll also want to look at the work of Richard Rinehart (Berkeley)
and John Ippolito (Gugggenheim), and the digital preservation
literature, where this topic has been discussed. The Registrars
Committee of AAM has also touched on this issue in the past
(particularly dealing with the documentation of transitory
performances, and the question of authenticity in re-creation).

Peter Samis has some great footage about site-specific works at
SFMOMA too, that talk about the artists intent, and the process of
team-based creation.

good luck.

jennifer