Kurt,
I go to many different conferences, and at each one in the last 18
months I have met 1-2 companies who are creating a platform for apps
(some iPhone only, some smartphone).

Nearly all of them are offering the platform for free, meaning: they
are giving the museums access to their CMS platform, and the museums
are supposed to create/upload the content from existing digital assets.

They are all doing some kind of revenue share on the app sales. I
don't know if/when this business model will be sustainable. I am also
a bit skeptical that small to mid-size museums will have the staffing
to find/format/create the content for the app. So, you could charge
for that portion of the service.

The ones I don't think will work are the guys who want $30K up front
to create the app for the museum. Especially when folks like IMA are
about to open source their platforms.

I think there will always be a place in the liaison role where you can
and should charge for your expertise. Maybe on a sliding scale.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Stephanie Weaver
Visitor experience consultant
experienceology?: Because happy visitors return.
San Diego, CA

For information on our book, blog, podcast, upcoming classes, and e-
news, visit www.experienceology.com or follow me on twitter.com/
experienceology. See samples of my classes here:
www.youtube.com/experienceology
. Watch the free archived version of my class on the visitor
experience here: http://bit.ly/NlunE