Emily,
I think others gave very valid suggestion that I mostly agree with, especially about separating internal-use images with public ones. These should reside in separate servers with clear firewall rules assigned. Most importantly, you should isolate your internal management system from the WWW. Assume your institution *will* (not *could*) be attacked by malicious actors at any time.

I support Jeremy's suggestion to look at IIIF. That takes some setup time, as well as the need to produce specific derivatives. However, any other image derivative is taken care of by the image server after that. No need to manually generate thumbnail, web large/small/medium, etc.

However, a IIIF manifest cannot enforce access to an image, it only provides hints for good citizens about which derivatives they should request. You can tackle restricted access in the same pipeline that generates your IIIF-ready derivatives, by setting up a reduced derivative size, or no public derivative at all, for copyright-restricted images. This way you will have one folder / repository with internal-only access behind firewall, and one open to the WWW or behind the image server.

This may sound like a lot to deal with, but in the long run it will definitely save you a lot of management time, migration nightmares and security loopholes.

Stefano