Brent asked,

| How then, do they know to take a commercial break if there's nobody at the
| station to cut in the local commercials?  If there's a beep or something,
| audible or not, wouldn't it get recorded too?

Yes, and so will the commercials.  The idea of an MD that can skip commer-
cials while it records from radio was just an earlier poster's wish; it is
not an actuality.

Unattended MD recording does not have a way to pause automatically during
commercials.  You'll record the commercials along with the rest of the show
unless you're listening while you record and you can operate the pause but-
ton.  You can edit the commercials out later and reuse most of the space they
took up.

In personal experience, even if I am next to the machine and can operate the
pause button, I get better results by letting it record everything and edit-
ing out the commercials later, than by trying to remain attentive and vigi-
lant both for pausing when the commercial breaks start and, more importantly,
for unpausing when the show itself resumes.  However, I'm under a lot of
pressure in my personal life and suffer chronic sleep deprivation, so it's
difficult for me to relax in a chair, no matter how interested I am in the
book I'm reading or the music I'm listening to, without drifting off.  If
you're better at remaining alert than I am, perhaps you can get good results
by operating the pause button yourself while you listen.