Matt wrote,

| Not sure it's so much of a wish, it *could* be made possible. I have a Denon
| tuner which has RDS and Radio-Text.  ...  One of the things that
| happens when commercials are broadcast is that the text display changes to
| [Commercial] and all the indicator on the display that tells you the
| broadcast genre switches off. It would surely be possible to latch onto this
| information and have an MD pause during those periods, resulting in no
| commercials being recorded.

It sounds as though, rather than modifying an MD recorder, it might be more
practical to design an intermediate device that would suppress the signal
during seleted genre values, and to leave the MD recorder on synchro.  Then
each stretch of undesired data -- such as a commercial break -- would show up
on the recording as just two or three seconds of silence.

Lacking the engineering skills and any access to broadcasts with Radio-Text
or RDS, I'll leave the experimentation to someone else.