Von: MediaWiki-l [mailto:mediawiki-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] Im Auftrag
von Andrew Smith
Gesendet: Samstag, 17. September 2016 20:32
An: mediawiki-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Betreff: Re: [MediaWiki-l] Mediawiki MySQL user-related database [dead]locks?

On 15/09/16 10:14, Andrew Smith wrote:
> On 15/09/16 07:08, Brian Wolff wrote:
>> locks). So maybe something is wrong on the php side. Thus I'd also
>> check the php error log, and maybe try enabling the MediaWiki debug
>> log and check that.

Thanks Brian. Your suggestion to turn on the MediaWiki debug log helped me
track down the problem.

It was a bizarre one. wgSMTP was misconfigured and what happened was:

* Someone would try to register
* Mediawiki would start a transaction to do whatever in SQL, perhaps record
that an account is being created
* Mediawiki would try to send an email, which I could see from a single log
line with PEAR in it (the last log line for that request).
* The email would never get sent and the request to send the email never timed
out (go figure).
* The transaction started way back when was never committed, and was left open
forever.
* From that point on any other requests to modify user table timed out.

Why would one send an email in the middle of an SQL transaction? That's a
disaster waiting to happen.

Is there a place where I should report this bug? I would like to help get this
fixed, not just complain on my blog :)
http://littlesvr.ca/grumble/2016/09/17/what-does-a-posix-signal-handler-and-an-sql-transaction-have-in-common/

It really sucks that I wasted so much time and patience dealing with this, but
I'm glad I got it sorted out in the end. Thanks for the help Brian!

Cheers,

Andrew