Thanks to all -

This morning the outside temp was around 70F. The fan started about as
one would expect, within a half a block of the house. Cool air came
first, then the center vents shut, and hot air came. This was followed
by the center vents opening about the time i was going to turn
everything off and open the windows to let the heat out.  Nice cool
air came out the center vents for a few minutes, the they closed, and
hot air came out the other vents. Followed by cool from the center
vents again. This cycle continued all the way to work - 35 minutes, 25
miles.

This evening, the temp was 90+, and cool air blew the whole time.

So when it should have been pulse width modulated, the mono valve
seemed to be either on or off, ro - it was on the whole time, and the
A/C was cycling. The center vents seemed to be working OK, in synch
with the A/C, but the nice transparent, even cabin temp didn't happen.
Amplifier? I'm going to install lots of voltage monitoring LEDs
tomorrow in hopes of narrowing the possibilities.