-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Kaleb C. Striplin
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 8:02 AM
To: Mercedes mailing list
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Mono valve???

you dont even want to get me started on what i think about george murphy.

Russ Maki wrote:

Barry Stark wrote:

Russ -
According to George Murphy the issue was not just to get the brushes
to fit,
it was the hardness of the brush compound. George found that the brushes
that the Germans used were of a much softer composition than the ones we
make here. Evidently the local brushes being harder caused premature
commutator wear. That's what makes his "special".

Barry

Sorry Barry, but I'm not buying it. As I recall, Murphy also believes
W123 CC amp failures are caused by the wrong brake light bulbs. I don't
buy that either.

Obviously, you don't want to install brushes for a vacuum cleaner motor
into a 12 volt DC motor. You want 12-volt  automotive brushes. Like the
ones that are installed in starters, alternators, power window motors
and other applications by the millions, every day, around the world.

The original brushes I replaced in a Bosch blower motor a year ago had
worn a deep notch into the commutator. If the factory originals were so
soft, I can't understand how they did all that damage.

I suspect that the big difference between the brushes George sells and
the ones everybody else sells is the price. At carbonbrush.com, they're
$6-something a pair. From Murphy they're what...$20?

I know guy's got to make a living -- mercedessource.com does a lot of
the same kind of packaging ("fuse upgrade kit") and sells at a premium.
More power to 'em both. A lot of people buy from them -- I don't.

Russ Maki
Ixonia, Wis.

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
  89 560SEL, 87 300SDL, 87 300SDL, 85 380SE, 85 300D,  81 300TD,
  81 240D, 81 240D, 76 240D, 76 300D, 74 240D, 69 250
Okie Benz Auto parts-email for used parts